iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first good buck sighting

Started by drobertson, August 18, 2012, 12:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Just saw the first good buck of the summer, too dark for photo, but good none the less,  The drought has them messed up, but even with the mutts barking, they are starting to show up. walked out and saw a nice one, had to be an 8 ,  outside the ears, nice height, the mutts wanted a scratch behind the  ears!  Just love the stealth of these guys.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Took a pic of this one that ventured in earlier this evening to eat some acorns under the oak tree.
iPad camera on zoom, and about 25 yards.  A little fuzzy. Season with bow opens 4 weeks from tomorrow. 
8)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

very nice! no acorns here yet, man that is a good one. Happy for you, Sept. 15 is our opening day for bow, good luck, does'nt look like you need much luck with this one. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Larry

Boys night out.

This is the one on the far right.

There not hunted much round here and consequently don't pay much attention to us.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

drobertson

they might not be hunted, but they surely are feed well, nice photos,

Ron Scott

Nice bucks! I recently caught this family group of bucks with a SpyPoint Game Camera.

~Ron

Magicman

They are all trying to figure out what the sign says.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

This pic of a young buck, last years' fawn, that may have a nice rack next year if he makes it through this year.   ;D
Has that "deer in the headlights" look. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Yes, he has good potential.  It may be a chance for him to make it through this year, but the next couple are necessary for him to reach his full potential.  Very few make it that far.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

beenthere! nice, real nice young buck. Man that is a killer for you to have to watch. A few years ago I had the Laredo soy beans out, watched as the season progressed, and they just faded away.   Good luck on keeping him close to home, he has exceptional potential for sure,

Ron Scott

Very nice! His nocturnal pattern will help his longevity. Have you given him a name yet?
~Ron

Ron Scott

~Ron

Chuck White

I've noticed that there were a lot more fawns born this year than there were last year!

I still think the DEC has an unspoken hand in it!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Scott

Also seeing a lot of fawns. This one mistakes a buck for its mother. :D

~Ron

LOGDOG

Is there any chance that's a doe with antlers? It does happen you know. I wondered right away what that spotted fawn was doing with an antlered buck. That's something I've never seen in all my life.

beenthere

Not uncommon to see the doe with fawns mixed with bucks this time of year.
That buck is foot thumping the fawn in the second pic.

Couple weeks ago, saw 5 bucks (two I'm sure were last years' fawns) and a doe with two fawns. The bucks were sparring, with each other, and one of the younger bucks was getting run off. He went over to 9 tom turkeys and started sparring with one, when it fluffed at him with wings outspread. The young buck backed off and went over to a fawn to try to let the fawn know he was bigger. The doe let him know not to mess with her fawn. Was a riot to watch and the young buck learned where he was in the pecking order.  ;D
south central Wisconsin

LOGDOG

Yep .... love watching the deer. I can spend hours doing it. My folks had a wild tom turkey that started hanging around the house and a black bear came in the yard to eat some of the apples from the trees. That tom turkey ran that bear off if you can believe it.

Ron Scott

Twin Fawns, have also seen some tripletts.

~Ron

Magicman

I was on the JD and saw a couple of bucks yesterday.  I was on a woods road and just as I spotted the larger buck, I passed a big oak tree.  My next vision was a smaller buck and the larger one walking downhill and out of sight.  The larger one was probably 16" with maybe 8" G2's.

I put both game cameras out yesterday overlooking corn feeders.  Same places as last year, so they will find them.  I know that the 9 point sticker buck made it through the season, so I am interested in seeing what he is this year.

Ron Scott

~Ron

drobertson

That's what we are talking about.  I have, I am going to get a game camera, this just looks like too much fun taking pictures of all the criters.  thanks for the photo. Ron and the rest of you guys, If you guys have suggestions on makes and models of game cameras I would like to hear, Kinda lost in the maze of choices and options.  David

LOGDOG

I have a Reconyx and a Cuddie Back. The Reconyx is head and shoulders above the Cuddie Back in every way. The Reconyx is quite a bit more expensive though. It's been well worth it for me because there's nothing worse than putting your camera out, having deer activity in front of the camera (you know because there are tracks or the corn is gone, etc, etc....) and maybe you have a not so great camera and it misses all the action. Disappointing. In the last few years, my one Reconyx has provided me with over 15,000 pictures. It's been awesome. The Cuddie Back .... not so much.

drobertson

Logdog, thanks, and this is noted, had the momma and fawns out this morning, followed by several neighbors stopping by the mill asking me to keep my deer in off the road. (laughing)  I will begin the search this evening, and have to think if I drive my wife crazy already, what will this do? 

LOGDOG

By the way drobertson ...tell your wife that my wife loves retrieving the pictures from the camera as much as I do. I'll go get the card out of the camera, bring it home and she'll come sit in my lap as I'm uploading the pictures and go through every one of them with me. We've seen things because of that Reconyx that we would never otherwise have seen most likely.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!