iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Will 038 magnum cyl assy fit an 038 super stihl?

Started by Tony_T, July 02, 2007, 01:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony_T

Question about replacing a cyl assy on a 038 super.  Some say  a 038 magnum assy will fit, some say it won't. 

Anyone had experience with this switch?

As far as I can tell there are two OEM numbers, 1119-020-1201 and 1119-020-1202

Thanks

Zundapp

Hi

It might, Depends on when the saw was made. The 038 had a long production run, 15 years or something like that. During that time, Stihl upgraded the model at least 3 times. Stihil is notorious for moving the screw holes a couple of mm during these upgrades so a lot of parts off your old saw won't fit your new one, helps the dealers out. It can certainly be done, but the parts have to be from the same production run as the saw. Hope this helps.

joe_indi

The 038 Magnum has a 55mm cylinder & piston, while as the 038 Super has a 50mm cylinder & piston.
The crankcase, cylinder gasket and base of cylinders are different.
So the base screws will not align.That is, in a straight fit.
But,....it just might be possible if the holes on the cylinder are filed.
To do this you will need a cylinder gasket of the 038 Super.
Glue it on the base of the cylinder after aligning it in relation to the centre and four base screw holes.
You will notice that the holes on the gasket and those on the cylinder are slightly out of alignment by approx.1mm. One the cylinder base the holes will have to be filed inwards.
Use a 4mm chain file to start off with and then use a 5.2mm chain file to finish.
This has to be done carefully so that the holes are not filed out of alignment, which will result in the cylinder being fitted a bit off centre.
Then you stand the risk of the con rod being forced to one side.That is not very good since it will wear out the crank shaft,piston and cylinder.
So go about all this only if you are sure you really want to do this.

Joe

Tony_T

Thanks Joe,

Thats about what I expected.  The piston/cyl on it now are both toast and I need an new assy anyway. The bigger 52 mm will give me about 8% more displacement.  I figure this along with a dual port muffler will wake it up quite a bit. 

I got two of these for free and both are in decent condition besides the top ends.  I plan on using NOS stihl parts on one and keep it, and an aftermarket kit on the other and sell it to make almost back what I have into both for parts.

Thanks again.

Thank You Sponsors!