iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Isabel chainsaw casuallty

Started by AndyB, September 29, 2003, 06:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyB

Read in the paper today about a young man who was cleaning up downed trees on his property.  Got a kickback that cut into his neck and chest.  He died.  Had just celebrated his 14th wedding anniversary the night before. DanG shame  :'( :'( :'(

Be safe guys&gals

Kevin

Andy, do you have a link to that story?

AndyB

Kevin:

The article was attributed to "The Associated Press" and published under hurricane briefs in "The Free-Lance Star" on page C8 today.
I logged on to the Free-Lance Star webpage but could not locate the brief there. I don't know how to get on the API webpage although I'm sure they must have one.

Sorry, I'll keep looking.

SasquatchMan

Tougher to get a dog out of the SPCA than to buy a chainsaw.  But then I guess people who shouldn't have dogs are hard on dogs, and people who shouldn't have chainsaws cut their own throats, so really...   ;)
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Kevin

Adamj

Sasquatch.  I apologize in advance if happen to be misunderstanding the intent of your post.  However, it would appear that your last sentence is an attempt to make a joke of the situation.  If so, it is disturbing that someone would make light of a very tragic circumstance for this family and many others.  As pointed out in the referenced article, 165,000 people are injured in chainsaw related accidents each year.  Regardless of the circumstance, chainsaw accidents are tragic and not appropriate fodder for jokes.  Just my two cents.  

Jeff

That kind of thing just knots your stomach when you read it. I cant imagine trying to deal with that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV_hillbilly

Articles like that Remind you to not do things wrong or haphazardly.  This is a sad thing that I hope no one on here has to go through.
Hillbilly

RMay

It will remind you every time you pick up a saw  :(
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Gus

Been running a saw for most of my life. . . . closer than ever to an accident with one. Gotta' be more careful everyday.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

jokers

SDS Saw, you`re perspective is right if you believe in probabilities.

The sad fact is that with a very small amount of training regarding body posture and position, this guy would probably still be alive. PPE is great but not fail safe. The only way to be safe with a saw is to not let it hit you, either through perfect control or standing outside of the danger zone. Preferrably both.

If you read about or investigate many chainsaw related accidents, the suddeness with which the occur becomes apparent. Always be aware of your surroundings and current situation but also try to think two or three steps ahead of where you`re at right now.

Russ

rebocardo

Man, I just read the story. What a loss and what a horror show for his wife to find that.

I know if I had seen a picture like that in my saw manual I would have bought the chaps before I even turned it on. Seeing that pix here of the guy hit in the neck made me buy chaps before I used my Husky.

SasquatchMan

Adam (And all) Sorry to have offended.  It wasn't my intent, though what I meant what I said.  I use tools every day that could cut my fingers, arms, or legs off, could cut my ribcage like a pudding, smash me, eat me, knock me off a roof...

And every day, I see someone else get hurt.  I see guys using tools without goggles, I see guys lose body parts because they weren't thinking.  

If you don't understand how a chainsaw works, you shouldn't use one.  If you don't understand the physics of kickback, with a chainsaw, a skilsaw, or anything, you have no business using the tool.  That this guy died after an anniversary, no doubt leaving a horrified family behind, is a tragedy for sure.  I think about the tragedy-to-be every time I get on the roof a a half-burnt garage to cut the burnt junk off... and that's why I'm still okay.

Accidents happen, and I've been "lucky" a few times, but then, that luck is also generated by good technique, and use of safety equipment.  I'm not saying that any fool who uses a chainsaw without proper training deserves to die, but gosh, you wouldn't just buy a car and drive it home without some lessons and some practice, now would you?  Because you'd die.

Sorry this is so long (another essay by the Sas), but this is a serious issue.  Like I say... sorry to have offended (or to re-offend), but my pity is at low ebb for people who take themselves out of the gene pool.  My pity for the rest of the family is deep and real.

That this guy was working hard to clear up a disaster and died for his good-heartedness isn't fair.

Stephen_Wiley

Sasquatch and others, the loss of his life is a needless tragedy !
Obviously due to misinformation or understanding of chainsaw use.

The other tragedy is the doctor and paper describing his life being claimed by the storm.  This kind of thinking results in the frivoulous lawsuits throughout this country. If my kid gets in an accident because of his lack of driving an automobile........is it because of the highway recently built.  Give credit to where it is due.

This kind of misinformation downplays the need to inform others of the 'dangers'  of operating equipment they are not trained to handle.

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Kevin

The difficult part as I see it is trying to inform those that aren't interested.

Adamj

Sasquatch, I appreciate your apology. It takes a big man to apologize.  I respect that.  

I share your concern regarding ill-informed persons operating potentially deadly equipment.  There is no cure for human ignorance or bravado.  Despite the best attempts of government, manufacturers and instructors, people will always over estimate their abilities and under estimate their equipment.  However, my heart goes out to their tragedy, however avoidable it was.  Thanks again for your apology.   :)

David_c

i dont know if you guys has noticed but the biggest sellers of chainsaws walmart kmart home depot or any place besides pro dealers is they dont sell safety gear except eye wear.

SasquatchMan

Adam, even my wife had no idea what the hell I was trying to get across with my initial post.  ;D   Maybe chainsaw merchants should have the same approach as the SPCA.  "Are you SURE you can take care of this thing? (cause if you screw up, it's gonna bite ya!)"

AndyB

Unfortunately, you can't protect people from themselves.  We all do stupid things, sometimes with devastating results.  It's always a tragedy and we all feel the loss; but it's also life with all of its built in uncertainties.  :'(

AtLast

I think the circumstance that surrounded this particular event needs to be an example that at any time anywhere to anyone it can happen. This man tripped and fell back with the running saw falling on him. I cant imagine the feeling in his mind of that spinning chain making contact and being helpless. I personally make darn sure the area around me is clear and I have an escape route. I have NEVER run a chainsaw and NOT thought about kickback. It can happen in an instant. I have a friend that caught a spinning chain accross the face when a pressure cut let loose. This man had been in forestry at the time for over 25 years. SO....anyone... anywhere... anytime....Be safe fellers

johncinquo

Well this accident, and a couple before prompted me to buy this vest.  I looked around and this one had the most actual stopping material in it.  Available from Elvex.  No this is not a picture of me.  

Well wouldnt you know I am having trouble getting that to work again.  I think the pic is uploaded as elvex vest if you want to look at it.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

rebocardo

I think a full color picture of each accident type to each body part (arm, leg, NECK, head, hand) would prevent a lot of stupid injuries if every chain saw OEM had it in their manuals.  100,000 injuries and deaths is a lot of pain and suffering. A chainsaw is like a gun, there is no such thing as a small accident.

I think it would sell a lot of safety equipment too.

Then again, someone would probably sue because then you are admitting it is a dangerous tool ...

SasquatchMan

In Canada, cigarette packages are 1/3 gory medical picture.  Lungs, cancer, gum cancer... yucky stuff.  It's a federal government mandate... so the manufacturers can still say "Nah these things aren't so bad" rather than admitting that they are, but the safety message is still loud and clear.  

That said, people still smoke...  :o

Thank You Sponsors!