iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fabricated a fork bracket for the tractor out of nothing but I-beams.

Started by hackberry jake, February 19, 2012, 07:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I aquired a set of forks, I had some I-beams, so I threw this together. Talk about making it easier to load logs on the mill or unload them off the trailer!

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

leroy in kansas

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Good idea!! I have the part that the forks go on to from a fork lift,but like your idea better. The part that I have is only 3 or 4 feet wide at the most.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

eastberkshirecustoms

Yeah, those suckers sure are long! Bet the weight of them alone will hold them on the I-beams.

hackberry jake

There's a hook on the top of the fork and on the bottom of the fork that keeps them on the ibeams. I can push the tips of the forks down and pick the front of the tractor up because of the hooks underneith the lower I-beam.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hackberry jake

bandmiller2

I've got a multitec log grapple but prefer the forks.You did a good job,its handy to have them adjustable especially for regular pallets.Forks are hard to beat for log and lumber handling. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Larry

I like your forks.  I built some for my tractor...best thing I ever built for it.

Be careful when unloading taller trucks.  You don't want to pop a log out and roll it over the loader.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

cypresskayaksllc

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

ladylake

Excellent job, make some for your 3 point also for the logs you cant lift on the front. I have both forks and a grapple bucket and wouldn't be without either.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bugdust

One important precaution I've learned is to always have your hand on the control when lifting heavy loads. Be ready to lower the forks quickly because once you exceed the pivot point, (front load outweighs the center point) the tractor becomes unstable. Be especially careful for weight distribution overhanging the forks, this can cause the tractor to pitch over. It makes a huge difference to have wheel weights or fluid loaded ties. I use a fork/grapple, but I'm really impressed with your desigh.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

r.man

I'll second what Bugdust said from experience. Never let your attention falter if the load is approaching max because loads sometimes shift sideways or forwards or the ground underneath the tractor will vary enough to change the side to side or front to back pivot point. The standard rule is to carry a heavy load as low to the ground as possible until it needs to be raised into place. Be safe.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Raider Bill

Quote from: bugdust on February 20, 2012, 07:51:27 AM
One important precaution I've learned is to always have your hand on the control when lifting heavy loads. Be ready to lower the forks quickly because once you exceed the pivot point, (front load outweighs the center point) the tractor becomes unstable. Be especially careful for weight distribution overhanging the forks, this can cause the tractor to pitch over. It makes a huge difference to have wheel weights or fluid loaded ties. I use a fork/grapple, but I'm really impressed with your desigh.

I learned this the hard way unloading a heavy pallet or bricks off a flat bed truck. Things got very sporty for a split second, much of what I was unloading got smashed along with a couple of my ribs and leg being bruised, and a split lip. Could have been much worse but lesson learned.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

hackberry jake

I've had to beat my trailer fender out a couple times from picking up a log that was too heavy, as soon as I try to back up the tractor starts tipping and I drop the forks down on the fender.

millwright

Nice job on the forks. I recently built a similar setup and then added an hydraulic cyl. attachted to an arm that  will clamp down on a log or a group of logs keeping them from sliding off the forks, this is real handy if you want to pick one log out of a pile.

WDH

Quote from: Larry on February 19, 2012, 09:05:20 PM
Be careful when unloading taller trucks.  You don't want to pop a log out and roll it over the loader.

That would hurt.  You might want to weld on some stakes to protect yourself because it could happen. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

As with most tools around a sawmill they can bite you if you lose your focus. Nice design though. Are they easy to disconnect from or do you have to pull pins? 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

westyswoods

A couple of interesting comments about excessive loads, with smashed lips and busted ribs. Fortunately have not injury as a result of front load tipping yet. I know many of us don't use seat belts provided but that is what they are meant to prevent. Yeah they are a pain and time consuming. I will wear mine if in the skid steer for long time.

Stay safe and be well
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

hackberry jake

I have to pull four pins. I've had a quick disconnect loader before and they're nice, but this one isn't one of them.

Thank You Sponsors!