iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS261C, MS261 What is the Difference?

Started by Ribsy, December 31, 2014, 07:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTYank

Quote from: 4x4American on January 04, 2015, 08:44:21 PM
You made a fine choice for a saw.  Shocked the dealer didn't know anything about the computer controlled carb.  I had a friend who bought a stihl 441c, and it wasn't working right since he got it, he brought it back in and the dealer changed the computer on it or plugged his computer in or something and he's loved it ever since.  I'm with you on the whole trusting it part.  What if it goes bad and leans the saw out and then seizes it.  On the other hand, I get nervous trying to tune a saw with a limited coil on it, because I can't use my tachometer and have to tune it in the wood.

What's the issue with that? That is THE way to go. "Tuning" solely by tach is a crude kludge; I've seen the results from dealer "geniuses" being waaaaaay off the mark. At best, it's a first step. Under load, in the wood, is what it's all about. Don't believe me, ask some genuine experts.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

JohnG28

I did a thread a whole back on modding a muffler on a 361. The procedure is pretty much the same, may need a different deflector, not sure if the one I used would fit a 261? Either way this will get you started. And as mentioned, allow the warranty to expire before modifying anything or the warranty will be void.  :)
Edit: I just read back in my thread and someone posted their 261 mod in there, and it shows the "fish gill " mod also.  :)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,69759.msg1046894/topicseen.html#msg1046894
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Ribsy

Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

HolmenTree

Ribsy convert your 261 over to a Picco b/c and rim sprocket setup with the 63PS chisel chain .
Will put a smile on your face for a long time ;)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Ribsy

Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

4x4American

Quote from: CTYank on January 11, 2015, 12:39:03 AM
Quote from: 4x4American on January 04, 2015, 08:44:21 PM
You made a fine choice for a saw.  Shocked the dealer didn't know anything about the computer controlled carb.  I had a friend who bought a stihl 441c, and it wasn't working right since he got it, he brought it back in and the dealer changed the computer on it or plugged his computer in or something and he's loved it ever since.  I'm with you on the whole trusting it part.  What if it goes bad and leans the saw out and then seizes it.  On the other hand, I get nervous trying to tune a saw with a limited coil on it, because I can't use my tachometer and have to tune it in the wood.

What's the issue with that? That is THE way to go. "Tuning" solely by tach is a crude kludge; I've seen the results from dealer "geniuses" being waaaaaay off the mark. At best, it's a first step. Under load, in the wood, is what it's all about. Don't believe me, ask some genuine experts.

Whoa whoa whoa!  I must not have explained good enough.  On a saw with a limited coil, you have to check for four stroking in the wood.  You have to put it in the wood, then lift up on the bar, before it hits rev limiter and listen for four stroking.  On a saw with a unlimited coil, you can get it to four stroke out of the wood, then put it in, and get it to clean up.  I don't tune solely with a tach, I barely trust it, but I like to set the idle with the tach and I check for max speed for a goof, but, with my 461, I can't check the max speed because the rev limiter, and it's not as easy to check for 4 stroking.  The rev limiter can fool you into thinking it's 4 stroking, when really its lean bouncing off the rev limiter.

I could be wrong, but that's my understanding of the situation.  If there's a better way to tune a saw with a limited coil I'm all ears.

BTW are you same CTYank from AS?  If so, any word on when the next NY Gtg is?
Boy, back in my day..

JohnG28

4x4, where in the Adks are you? I'm just outside Utica and the family has a camp near Old Forge.  :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

4x4American

Nice, I went through Old Forge a few weekends ago on 28.  I'm in the Luzerne/Hadley area.  About 20 min from Lake George.
Boy, back in my day..

JohnG28

That's a great area up your way, I haven't been through this year but usually pass through that way when the wife and I go up to Lake Placid or Keene.

Thank You Sponsors!