iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone made removable hitch for WM trailer?

Started by flatrock58, September 21, 2014, 07:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

I was thinking about making a removable hitch for my WM trailer.  Maybe using a 2" receiver and setting it up to use with a pintle.  Just wanted  to see if anyone had some pictures of what they had done.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

drobertson

might try and search pintle  hitches, I know at least one member has done it, loves it he said, makes hooking up lots easier
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dave Shepard

I just take the two bolts out and throw the hitch in the weeds so I don't hit my legs on it. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

NMFP

I have the stuff to do it but just have not done it yet.  Its very simple and makes backing up to it much easier.  Also, when I plan on welding it, I plan on making the tongue a little longer so that I can swith the controls around and be able to saw with the truck still hooked to the mill.  Some jobs its a real pain to unhook and then rehook just a few hours later and do the same thing in the afternoon.

Someone on here posted a few pictures of their set up but I cannot remember who it was.

Dave Shepard

How will you level the mill with it hooked to the truck? I agree on the pintle hitch. I hate ball couplers.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Nomad

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 21, 2014, 10:14:35 AM
How will you level the mill with it hooked to the truck? I agree on the pintle hitch. I hate ball couplers.

I saw with the mill still on the truck regularly.  I've got a full set of FAOs; I don't know if that makes a difference or not.  And of course all the outriggers are used every time.  But leveling the mill is no problem.  A few days ago I did two separate jobs, a couple of miles apart, and was still home in time for an early lunch.  The mill didn't come off the truck until I parked it at home again.
     I agree with the pintle hitch too!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

NMFP

I will typically level the mill by the use of ramps and so on which I already do.  If I need to level the mill side to side, I place boards under the tires to help raise or lower before I put down the jacks.  if I need to raise or lower the mill end to end, I can place boards under the rear tires of the truck to raise the hitch of the mill, not to mention that I have an adjustable hitch that I can raise up and down on the truck.

Simple modifications can save numerous hours of wasted time.

NMFP

I should mention that I have stationary command control on my mill so turning that around all the time is almost impossible with my flatbed truck as it hits the back of the truck before its completely turned around and operable.

backwoods sawyer

When we set up we drop the mill pull forward 4'-5' drop the tailgate and have a work bench.

The other day I had a log walk back on the mill while turning it to whitle it down. It was to heavy for the drag back so thru a chain around it and hooked a comalong to the truck and pulled it back forward on the mill.

I went to cross over the cable while it was tight while the customer had my attention. That cable told me right quick like that I did not have my foot high enough and I was picking myself up off the ground ::)

Stepping over the hitch all day "will" be a "real" pain ;D

Have never found hooking up to the hitch to be much of a chore, but do like pintal hitches as the are heavier built.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Peter Drouin

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on September 21, 2014, 11:25:17 AM
When we set up we drop the mill pull forward 4'-5' drop the tailgate and have a work bench.

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

barbender

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 21, 2014, 09:27:15 AM
I just take the two bolts out and throw the hitch in the weeds so I don't hit my legs on it. ;D
X2,  I was thinking about putting some quick hitch pins in mine to make it quick to pull off, as the bolts that are used don't hold the hitch rigid anyways.
Too many irons in the fire

flatrock58

I was thinking about doing what Dan did with the pintle.  Bought a 2" receiver but it would not fit inside of the square tubing for the WM hitch  I do like the ability to remove the hitch and the ease of the pintle though.

Steve
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!