iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hydraulic motor for chainsaw type firewood processor

Started by oldfarmer1234, July 20, 2019, 09:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldfarmer1234

I'm in the process of collecting the parts needed to build a firewood processor.  It seems that professional timber harvesters using harvester bars use expensive high speed (7K to 10K) hydraulic motors.  But I've seen some commercially available processors equipped with what looks like Cross high speed hydraulic motors (3K) but there won't any visible numbers on the units.
  Can anyone suggest possible motors that they've used?  I plan to use a 28" Oregon .08 harvester bar with a .404 chain.
  Since I'm building it for my own use speed isn't the primary requirement, that is I don't need the absolute fastest machine, just a good one.
   Thanks in advance,

DelawhereJoe

I've never used then and know nothing about them but I did find a company 6kproducts, 6K Products  that sells what your looking for. They don't show the prices online but you should be able to request a quote on there stuff. I hope this help and I hope they are work buying and not junk.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

barbender

The videos 6k Products have of their saws, they look really slow to me.
Too many irons in the fire

Fergy

Too much gear and no idea

Nebraska

This is silly question I'm sure, I'm in Nebraska  not in forest country and have never seen a processing machine other than a picture or two.  Is it not feasible to use a standard hydraulic motor and up chain speed with your sprocket/pulley combinationdriving the bar  or are you trying to stay within industry standardized parts? Since I am my own firewood proceessor just kind of interesting to visualize one.

hedgerow

Nebraska
Not for sure which end of the state your in but if you get down around Lincoln you are welcome to come a look at my homemade firewood processor with a homemade hyd chainsaw on it with a hyd motor that came from Surplus center in Lincoln. I used a Dynapower/Stratopower bent axis piston motor they had. Wish I would have bought a couple as they don't have them anymore. Seems to be a good motor and it is a lot faster than a gear motor that a lot of the processors use. If I was building it today the saw would be belt driven. 

Fergy

Too much gear and no idea

Thank You Sponsors!