iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guy swears it's hickory?

Started by ReggieT, February 27, 2019, 09:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

ELM is not opposite branched.  BLACKGUM is not opposite branched.  SWEETGUM is not opposite branched.  ASH is opposite branched.  The grain can spiral in some trees of a species that usually have straight grain.  Trees are individuals, like people. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

To be devil's advocate, Hard to tell from the pics but some twigs look opposite some not.
Shot of one of the split pieces shows alternate knots.
End grain shot looks diffuse porous not ring.
Bark certainly looks Ash however.
Ash here almost splits just by looking at it.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

WDH

OK Reggie.  You are going to have to go back and get a limb to quiet these naysayers ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ReggieT

Quote from: WDH on March 04, 2019, 04:49:11 PM
OK Reggie.  You are going to have to go back and get a limb to quiet these naysayers ;D.
It's a Gum tree.... ::) :'(

Southside

Don't ya mean Prickly Hickory? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

If it is gum, then there are two different trees in your pics.  The first three pics are definitely ash.  The fourth pic (which I did not pay much attention to since the the first pics were definitely ash) is likely the gum you speak of.  This would explain the spiral grain in the split piece.  

sandhills

See'ns how I'm too DanG dumb I'm just gonna go with ash because that was my guess, and believe it or not I guessed that before WDH put his word in! :D  But I still think the "main" log in question is ash, I have no idea what gum trees look like other than I hear they're the smiley_devil from those who have to saw it ;).  On the other hand I have split elm like that, just not with bark like that...

petefrom bearswamp

Reggie are you going to Jakes?
If so bring some samples if you can.
We can duke it out there.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

WDH

I'll bring my fighting gloves. 

barbender

After reading this whole thread, the only thing I'm sure of is that Southside is a rotten guy (albeit a very cunning one) for that propane TV prank😂😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

He is pretty rotten, like an old ash with doty heart rot :D. 

Southside

Geesh guys, have the decency to at least @ a guy if you're gonna beat him that hard.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I didn't really feel that decency was warranted in this case.😂😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

ReggieT

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 06, 2019, 08:30:54 AM
Reggie are you going to Jakes?
If so bring some samples if you can.
We can duke it out there.
Hmm...don't reckon I'm aware of a place or a gentleman named Jakes? ??? :P
Bring me up to speed...

ReggieT

Quote from: WDH on March 05, 2019, 08:17:43 AM
If it is gum, then there are two different trees in your pics.  The first three pics are definitely ash.  The fourth pic (which I did not pay much attention to since the the first pics were definitely ash) is likely the gum you speak of.  This would explain the spiral grain in the split piece.  
Okay...the zany thing is they are just different portions of the same tree!  :D :)
BTW...can we get an opinion or some feedback from, Red Green? ;D

petefrom bearswamp

Reggie
Jake is customsawyer and has a sawing project at his place in Rentz GA I think April 5 and 6
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

terrifictimbersllc

I read all this twice.  His tailgate isn't smashed. Something's wrong. ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jemclimber

If Danny tells you it's ash, then it's ash.  If Danny tells you tomorrow is Easter, then you better start dyeing some eggs. :D 
lt15

SwampDonkey

Different ash than what we have up here, if it is. Our mature ash has bark like in this link, photo at top on the link below.

Ashes to Ashes | Duncannon Appalachian Trail Community

I'd have to see more of the limbs and buds. Looks like the yard there is full of them, that would settle it. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

brianJ

Quote from: WDH on March 03, 2019, 07:14:50 PM
ELM is not opposite branched.  BLACKGUM is not opposite branched.  SWEETGUM is not opposite branched.  ASH is opposite branched.  The grain can spiral in some trees of a species that usually have straight grain.  Trees are individuals, like people.
I will vouch for this.   Ive split and sold 10 bush cords of nearly all ash this month from a hedgerow the boss said to clear out.    Lots of 35 + foot main stems from 14 inches down to 3  is what I cut.    Some of them split with the wedge two inches in.   Some of them have a curly grain that the splitter wedge runs three quarters thru or more toseperate

SwampDonkey

Yeah ash can be easy or hard as the old hermit found out about shelter belt ash.

Wood for a day - YouTube

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Well the ash in these parts have no bark to speak of .Every one over two inches is dead for the most part .

WDH

I took this pic of an ash at my sawmill yesterday, complete with the aforementioned lichens.  Decidedly opposite branched.  However, I am probably the only one that thinks that it looks like the OP's pic to start this thread  :).

SwampDonkey

I see similar lichens, but the bark is more cubical in the original pictures than ash I am used to. But hopefully the limbs can be examined by the OP for branching habit and buds. I've seen older ash where the bark is not as deeply furrowed and has wide thin strips. This is real apparent on log yards where the buyer uses ash for tool handles. Lots of variability with age and site.

Thank You Sponsors!