iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another way to edge boards

Started by DMcCoy, January 07, 2019, 10:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

From the wood boat side of things. Could be used to take out warp (crown).

How to set-up a custom work bench for wood working - YouTube

Southside

Slick way to deal with wide / live edge stuff that won't go through the edger.  Anyone have a suggestion on a good circular saw that would keep a good cut?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

That's slick idea! I love those "methods of work" type ideas that old pros have.
Too many irons in the fire

CabinCreations

Very clever - thank you for sharing! I may have to steal this workbench setup :)
2011 LT35HD

samandothers

Thanks for posting.  His saw cut real well, effortlessly!

moodnacreek

A friend built a travelling saw that ran down a long rail over a table to edge boards accurately. Also some would put a flitch board on top of the cant they where sawing to edge it.

YellowHammer

A Festool Track Saw is great for edging live edge slabs.  We bought one just for that and it works perfectly.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Kwill

How's he keeping the board from moving?
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Crusarius

the wood he was cutting was cedar. I am sure he just used a new sawblade and gravity. if that was a dull saw it would not have cut that nice.

also think he had an end stop so it wouldn't push. I would have wanted to lock at least 1 end in place though.

boonesyard

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 07, 2019, 02:11:28 PM
A Festool Track Saw is great for edging live edge slabs.  We bought one just for that and it works perfectly.
X2 for the Festool Track Saw. We use it all the time and does a great job for straight cutting large slabs.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Brad_bb

rjwoelk and I were talking about this edging bench last night.  It looks like he has the ability to clamp his boards in place if needed.  In my opinion it's a nice tool.  It's optimal for edging boards in the 4/4 and 5/4 range I think.  If his straight edge had another board screwed to it so it was 3" vertical, it would allow him to do thicker stock, like 2x material or slabs.  The problem with doing slabs on a table like this is the weight of the slab and the width.  Most slabs would be wider than his table and would need support stands.  I think I'd prefer to do slabs with a track saw.  Take the tool to the work is easier for a big slab.  

This bench takes up real estate.  You'd need to use it often enough to make it worth while for the space it's taking.  If you dried your lumber, 1x or 2x that was already edged before drying, then plane both faces.  Then use this bench to edge one side of it straight like a glue line quality rip,  that might be the best use.   You can then set up a table saw with some finger boards to do the other side of the board.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

tawilson

After spending yesterday trying to get one edge of one 12' board straight using a table saw, circular saw, hand planer, belt sander, laser level,  chalk box and any other tool I could think of, I'm about ready to order a track saw. I am leaning towards the Makita for a few reasons. What I'm not sure is whether to go corded or cordless. Which do you guys have?
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

florida

We've done this with a simple shooting board for 40 years now and I certainly didn't invent it. Get a piece of masonite, rip an 2" strip with a factory edge. Then rip an 8" strip off the same piece. Glue the 2" piece to the 8" piece keeping the factory edge to the middle. Once it's dry use your circular saw tight to the factory edge to rip the shooting board to the size of your saw. After that you make marks, lay the edge of the board on the marks, I use spring clamps on each end,  and cut away. Unlike the bench you can use it anywhere at anytime. I've made cabinets, wall units and freestanding shelves with one.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

tawilson

Thanks. I will do that. I finally had some success today after I remembered I had a 2" strip of Lucite hidden away with a factory edge on it. Just clamped it then moved it to get the 12' edge I needed. Still had to hit it with the sander a bit.  It was killing me not having anything straight to start with.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

boonesyard

Quote from: florida on January 08, 2019, 03:22:43 PM
We've done this with a simple shooting board for 40 years now and I certainly didn't invent it. Get a piece of masonite, rip an 2" strip with a factory edge. Then rip an 8" strip off the same piece. Glue the 2" piece to the 8" piece keeping the factory edge to the middle. Once it's dry use your circular saw tight to the factory edge to rip the shooting board to the size of your saw. After that you make marks, lay the edge of the board on the marks, I use spring clamps on each end,  and cut away. Unlike the bench you can use it anywhere at anytime. I've made cabinets, wall units and freestanding shelves with one.
Basically an inexpensive (but effective) track saw. Works great.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

taylorsmissbeehaven

I like the homemade version myself. Also have a 40" one made up for cutting off the bottom of doors.
Not only do you get a straight cut but it keeps the saw plate from marring the door! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Thank You Sponsors!