iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Simple stump removal ended up being a lot of work, Should have left it.

Started by JOE.G, June 16, 2012, 12:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE.G

I cut down a Cherry tree that had died near my house, well I am laying in bed this morning relaxing and my buddy txt me asking if I wanted to take the stump out. Well I wasn't really in the mood but I said ok. I had cut the stump real low and I was just going to plant around it ( GF was goin to plant ).

So we fire up the back hoe and proceed to yank it right out well, after I got it out I was left with a very large hole in the yard and quite a mess. Take the tractor up the road to a buddies shop and get some topsoil and some grass seed and after a few hours I got it leveled and cleaned up, seeded and hayed now I have to keep the dog's and kid's off it and I hope the grass grows.

The stump did come out easy but it made a much bigger hole then I was expecting. I am glad we had the material handy because it took a lot of topsoil to fill in and smooth out.

Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

thecfarm

Any stump that gets dug out around here has rocks in it. And than more rocks are found by the roots too. Just as easy for me to leave them there and wait 4-5 years and by than the stumps are all rotten or they come out very easy with no mess.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

davidlarson

I recently attended a meeting at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, on how and why to build a solar heated kiln for drying newly sawn wood -- one of the speakers was a forester who made a good argument for leaving the stumps in the ground if you can.  They of course will eventually rot, the wood enriching the soil, and the forest owner can get away with much less work.  Foresters' advice has saved me a lot of other work, in the same way.  For example, I used to stack up and burn brush when clearing forest land -- the forester pointed out leaving the brush in a pile to rot is less work, less danger of uncontrolled fire, and the brush pile can be a home for forest critters until it turns into valuable compost.  I used to fret about trees and branches that had fallen across the creeks -- they seemed untidy to me.  The forester said I should leave them where they fell, since the forest critters used them as a means to get across the creek without getting wet.  The more I talk to the foresters, the less work I have to do.           

David L.

MHineman

Quote from: davidlarson on June 16, 2012, 11:02:05 PM
I used to fret about trees and branches that had fallen across the creeks -- they seemed untidy to me.  The forester said I should leave them where they fell, since the forest critters used them as a means to get across the creek without getting wet.
I like that idea.  Unfortunately, with the current BMPs (Best Management Practices) loggers are not allowed to leave tops in or across a creek.  Even intermintent streams must be kept clear.
  If I remember right, depending on the slope of surrounding ground and the type of waterway, you may have to keep the tops up to 75 feet away.
  The goal is to not interfere with the water flow even when out of the banks of the creek.
  Private land does not have to be handled this way, but all State and I think all Federal land has to be worked with these rules.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

thecfarm

Private land is the same, in Maine. I'm glad that I don't have a brook going through my land. There are set back rules too. Some trees can be cut,but no slash in the brook. I kinda think the forester was talking about Mother Nature falling trees across a brook.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

I just dig the hole deeper put the stump in then fill it in with 6' or more of  dirt over it. I do the same with big rocks too. I have a 22 ton JD excavator ;D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

JOE.G

The backhoe Is a 100 plus HP, it gets the job done it yanks the stumps no problem, I got it looking nice just hope the grass grows I don't always have the best grass growing luck.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

snowstorm

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 17, 2012, 08:37:40 AM
I just dig the hole deeper put the stump in then fill it in with 6' or more of  dirt over it. I do the same with big rocks too. I have a 22 ton JD excavator ;D :D :D
put it back upside down

Norm

Yep that's what I do, just make sure it's buried deep enough to not cause problems in the future.

Lud

Years ago I started burning an old stump with the post cookin' charcoal from a grill.  Covered it with a foil cone  and pooked up an edge to create draw.  You're looking for a long smoulder.

If it quits, try again after your next cookout. :)

Nowadays, it might be interesting to point an electric leafblower at the stump after it gets going.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

thecfarm

Peter,now that is not fair. You're cheating.  ;D Being in NH I surprized you can do that. If I was to bury a stump or rock I would find 20 more rocks to bury. My place is some boney.

Thank You Sponsors!