iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Tupelo or (Gum)

Started by rvolek, September 13, 2012, 04:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvolek

Hi All,

I have been a member for a few months and have really enjoyed reading through the past posts. I have only posted a few times. But I hope someone can give me some info. I live in Western Pa. I cut trees for a hobby but mostly for fire wood. The organization my son plays baseball for approached me about removing some trees to put in another ball field. When I looked at the site, there are approx. 20-25 Black Tupelo or Black Gum trees all 17in dia and bigger. Is there any market for these or did I aquire a bunch of firewood? Thank you in advance.

Ryan
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

Handymark

Around here they will buy almost anything for pallet lumber and it still pays better than firewood with alot less work. I have a pallet company a few miles from home that mills their own lumber and pay $.30-$.40 for most logs.

hackberry jake

A lot of people like it for dump truck boards or trailer decking. It is tough as nails when dry and will bend a long ways before it breaks.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Considered low grade palletwood down here.  The spiral grain makes it difficult to dry straight.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KyLogger

Same here, a good gum (one without a hole in the middle, like most of the bigger ones have) will bring around $150 Int. tops. A big gum log on the load may pay for lunch.......

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

paul case

I would buy them from ya in 10'6'' lengths delivered to just a few miles south of Joplin,MO. So when will ya bring them?
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

rvolek

Thanks for feed back. I had a hunch not to get my hopes up to make any money on them. Of course they couldn't be nice red oak or veneer cherry. The search is on for a pallet factory!
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

Ron Wenrich

We cut ties out of them.  They're also prone to heart rot and ring shake.  When they have that, they're pallet grade at best. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!