iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ancient digs uncover useable tools

Started by Kbeitz, September 01, 2017, 07:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

This is the first I seen the top of my work bench for about 10 years.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

grouch

Now that you have all that spare time...
I have a garage that needs the same attention.

;)
Find something to do that interests you.

btulloh

Thanks for posting that picture. I heard rumors about workbenches having tops but I've never seen one around here.
HM126

Kbeitz

I got another one to do.... Different workshop..

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I have 23 work benches to keep cleaned off.
8 work shops or should I say 8 different rooms in 5 buildings with work benches.
Machine shop, Weld shop. wood work shop, out building and grange.
8 benches need attention or cleaned off. On my things to do list.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kensfarm

What is that long swinging arm for in your first picture.. I guess that's your welding table.
A clean workbench give you new ideas to clutter it back up.   ;D

thecfarm

At my other job one guy in the shop put a mig welder on a swing arm. The welder was always above your work and no need to wheel it around from one corner to the next.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

Quote from: kensfarm on September 02, 2017, 01:27:09 AM
What is that long swinging arm for in your first picture.. I guess that's your welding table.
A clean workbench give you new ideas to clutter it back up.   ;D

That's my home-made metal bender. One of my most favorite tools. It gets used often.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

That's one reason that I had to clean my table. The junk was deep enough
that the handle was hitting things. To much stuff from the junkyard.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

coxy

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 02, 2017, 06:25:29 AM
That's one reason that I had to clean my table. The junk was deep enough
that the handle was hitting things. To much stuff from the junkyard.
:D :D your killing me  :)

sandhills

Just go on ahead and leave your place to me in your will, I won't mind  :) (of coarse I'll probably go first though :D).

grouch

I can help: You'll have a lot more room if you send me that vise.

Kbeitz

Quote from: grouch on September 02, 2017, 12:47:16 PM

You would not want it... You gotta take it apart in two pieces just to move it...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

grouch

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 02, 2017, 05:25:16 PM

You would not want it... You gotta take it apart in two pieces just to move it...

That's a small sacrifice to help a fellow FF member in need. ;D

whitepine2

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 02, 2017, 05:25:16 PM

[/quote
I got that same vise,would not get red of it for any reasonable price,best one of the five I use often. Why do we heap our benches so high my whole shop is piled high,spent the whole day moving stuff to storage and looks like just scratched the surface Why O Why??

Kbeitz

I'm a vice collector. I have somewhere around 100 vises.
Some of my better ones.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sawguy21

You need that many vises, you keep losing them. :D Regarding vices, I don't think we want to go there.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kbeitz

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 03, 2017, 12:05:06 PM
You need that many vises, you keep losing them. :D Regarding vices, I don't think we want to go there.

You only seen a very small part of that collection... Yep I need them all. It's an addiction...
Kinda like saw mills.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I just knew I had a can of this somewhere... The things you find while cleaning you bench...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DFILER2

Your shop looks great and well used. Is the "Liquid Smoke" for when the smoke leaks out of an electronics project, there's been a few times that would have come in handy:)

WV Sawmiller

Reminds me of the old placard - If a cluttered desk indicates a cluttered mind what does an empty desk indicate?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Quote from: DFILER2 on September 04, 2017, 09:34:09 AM
Your shop looks great and well used. Is the "Liquid Smoke" for when the smoke leaks out of an electronics project, there's been a few times that would have come in handy:)

Yea when all the smoke leaks out of your electric motors they wont run
any more. It's always handy yo have a bottle of smoke around but
getting it back in some of these new motors can be a real pain.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Claybraker

I've had the magic smoke leak out of more than one item over the years, mostly when I was a rookie tech in the Army, but I didn't have to pay for it,  ya'll taxpayers did. I didn't make enough money then to pay taxes.

Question on the Blinker Fluid, is it compatible with BMW's current fluid ? I bought a new BMW X3 six months ago with all the options. and it had blinkers, but the dealer nailed me on dealer prep topping off the Blinker Fluid. They did include a few days at their driving school in Spartanburg SC to teach me how to drive like an MODIFIED BY ADMIN, so I guess it's a wash.

Regarding cluttered desks I dug a few exploratory trenches in mine and found enough money to pay for  the BMW, I may continue that project later.  Currently I've only gotten as far as the Bush I era. Might be a fun project for my heirs and assigns.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Claybraker on September 04, 2017, 04:29:41 PM
I've had the magic smoke leak out of more than one item over the years, mostly when I was a rookie tech in the Army, but I didn't have to pay for it,  ya'll taxpayers did. I didn't make enough money then to pay taxes.

Question on the Blinker Fluid, is it compatible with BMW's current fluid ? I bought a new BMW X3 six months ago with all the options. and it had blinkers, but the dealer nailed me on dealer prep topping off the Blinker Fluid. They did include a few days at their driving school in Spartanburg SC to teach me how to drive like an MODIFIED BY ADMIN, so I guess it's a wash.

Regarding cluttered desks I dug a few exploratory trenches in mine and found enough money to pay for  the BMW, I may continue that project later.  Currently I've only gotten as far as the Bush I era. Might be a fun project for my heirs and assigns.

BMW's uses all season Blinker Fluid... It cost more and it's not compatible with others.
Sorry...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ianab

QuoteBMW's uses all season Blinker Fluid... It cost more and it's not compatible with others.
Sorry...

Yeah, but it lasts a long time....

No BMW driver ever uses indicators.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!