iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Our operation is underway!

Started by OlJarhead, March 07, 2011, 12:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Just wondering,, what made you lean to the 35 on your upgrade?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hunz

You definitely won't regret the upgrade to the 35 despite the price tag. The lt-35's are great mills...I had one for a year then upgraded to a super hydraulic. If you can find a lightly used 40, you may save yourself an upgrade down the road to one. The used 40's can be had for less than a new lt-35...just a thought.

When everyone kept telling me to get something with  hydraulics, or get the bigger mill, all I could see was the larger price tag. It wasn't until after I had one that I finally understood what all the advice I was getting was about. In my opinion the ratio of income stays the same or gets greater with the bigger mills. They cost more, but they return a whole lot more for the investment made.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

OlJarhead

Quote from: drobertson on February 15, 2016, 06:11:52 PM
Just wondering,, what made you lean to the 35 on your upgrade?

Price.  I'd love an LT40HD or Super HD but for the price I couldn't see doing it unless I were milling full time.  For me, milling for customers is a part time business as I have a regular fulltime position with the phone company but my plan is to get the business to a point that I could eventually retire from working for someone else and just work for myself ;)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

drobertson

Ten four on that,  just wondering,, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Brucer

I'm a big advocate of the "buy what you can afford and upgrade later if you have to" school of sawmilling.

You know from the LT10 that you like sawing and can do it. You've got lots of experience under your belt. The LT-35 sounds like a perfect fit. If you get to the point where you can use something bigger, you should have no trouble selling the '35 so you can upgrade again ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Dloiselle

Eric I have to tell you this thread has been just awesome. I am in the process of researching a mill, and trying to gain as much information as possible. I have a piece of land here in upstate NY I guess mid state that is fairly heavily wooded, I want to put a house and large shop on - truck and excavation equipment. 

Your thread enabled me to envision doing everything, I have some fence to fix at my home, wood shed to build as I am tired of the pallet game, and though we haven't had any snow this season I am tired of the headache of tarps blowing off, piles covered in ice ETC.

Your thread and the pictures has been quite encouraging and educational. Thanks for taking the time to type it and load the pictures!!!!
Kenworth W900 Triaxle Dump
Bobcat E42
Cat 257B3
Harley Rake, Grapples, 4in1, High Dump Bucket, forks, etc
Hyundai Dozer
20 Ton Equipment Trailer
40' Gooseneck
22' 9 Ton Tag Trailer
American 24HH Splitter
Husky, Stihl
Now to figure out what mill to get

Magicman

Good Morning Dloiselle and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Thanks Brucer et al, appreciate the feedback.

Dioselle -- thanks and welcome :)  I'm glad it's helped.  I call it a 'labor of love' though sometimes think it's a labor of blood! ha!  Seriously though, it's a journey and one I'm enjoying :)

My only advice on mills today is that it doesn't hurt to try ;)  For us we saved money with the LT10 by not having to buy paneling and at the same time removed trees that were in the way of the solar panels etc and used them on the cabin.  It was a big win for us!  Then when I was out of work we decided to make the mill portable so I could mill for customers (you can find that thread here by searching me or LT10) until I found work.  We did some milling, gained experience and nearly paid for the cost of the trailer upgrade (custom made) by milling for others before I went back to work full time in my career field (telecom).

Today, while I continue to use the mill for cabin stuff (have 3 dozen logs to mill now) I want to get back to milling for others as it's become something I not only enjoy but envision doing well past retirement age ;)  So I want the business to pay for itself, provide for the cabin and be there well established when I decide to retire.

OlJarhead

Spoke with WM this morning and we're set to order as soon as my better half agrees  8)   

OlJarhead

Wifes response:  (and I quote)
QuoteLove you!  When are you planning to order?

Ah ya We're getting an LT35HD!!!! COME ON!!!  Let the sawdust FLY! :D  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

OlJarhead

Ruh Roh!  Woodmizer has a sale going on the LT40HD!!!!  For $4k more I can get the Lt40 with debarker and I'm thinking that just might be the best option for the price!  Bigger logs, a little better motor (by the sounds of it) and a lot of perks...

The wife might kill me but I can pick it up NOW -- if of course I can drive the 250 miles to get it, do the training and drive back all in one day -- but I'd be driving with a BIG SMILE on my face ;)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Good morning!  It was 3am and I couldn't sleep so here I am updating an old thread but I figured maybe you'd want to see some cabin progress since I'm still at it (though I've not had much time since kicking up the milling business a notch last year)

I did manage to get most of the paneling completed in the loft but I still need to finish it off to the peak.  Still, it's coming along, slowly.

Last year I also managed to get the roof done on the deck :)  and yes I'm using all lumber I've milled (been a while since I bought any).  This roof is framed with full cut 2x8's on 19.2" centers with 4x8 hips and is strapped with 1x's. 

Somewhere I have a pic of the roof covered in a couple feet of snow.  It didn't care at all.  Only issue I had was that it didn't slough off as well as I'd hoped but it took the weight no problem :D

Haven't had much time up there this spring but I did make a short run up to put in some more fruit trees and check on the place. 

I also got my solar can heater built and installed:

It can get up to 200 degrees inside the box in freezing weather!  Once the porch is insulated etc it should help keep the batteries warm on extremely cold days in the winter.

February at the cabin :)

The roads were very muddy and many streams have washed over them so the drive is treacherous at times

Yes those are all my drive way!

Good thing I have the camper now so I don't have to commute on milling jobs!

OlJarhead

Quote from: OlJarhead on March 07, 2011, 12:00:49 AM

Josh (left) and James (right - step son) standing by our stack of lumber -- 4' tall by 42" wide and 8' long :)  Over 100 boards.

and six years later and a couple weekends of milling and um, ya the LT40 and I have become well acquainted!

Hard to believe it was just over 6 years ago that I started out with the LT10.  Thanks to all of you for taking me from the CSM to the LT40HD! :D

nativewolf

Do you worry about fuel loads in the forest around your cabin? 
Liking Walnut

OlJarhead

Quote from: nativewolf on May 10, 2017, 08:16:47 AM
Do you worry about fuel loads in the forest around your cabin?
Yup, specially when it nearly got burned up in the last big fire!

See the word 'Aeneas'?  We're just to the left of it and not but 3/4 of a mile (as the crow flies) from the northern edge of that fire.....

Did a lot of preps around the cabin and cut in fire breaks along the property but we're in a forest and it's always a challenge.

paul case

I am proud of the progress you have made!

I also notice that there aren't any ''boys'' in the last picture.

I think they either get smart or get promoted?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Clark

The first fire I ever worked on was the Virginia Lakes Complex. We camped at the county fairgrounds in Omak, WA and daily drove past Omak Lake. Later research indicates there are some lunker trout in there! Wonderful county and I'm glad to hear your cabin didn't burn.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

OlJarhead

I now have a boat so maybe I need to check out Omak lake ;)

Thought I'd post in here as it's been a while :)  Wanna come along with me on the drive up to the cabin?  Hope in, it's 3 miles in the snow, uphill most of the time in 4low with studded snowies....don't worry, I've done this before ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCEg3henqDE&t=294s

How about a tour of the place?  Sure, I'll do a walk around, but don't mind the mess!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqQeqmxoxb8&t=48s

I'll have to do one of the loft, maybe once I have cleaned things up a bit ;)

DPatton

Eric,
Thanks for the tour and showing us your driveway. They say good fences make for good neighbors but I believe a driveway like yours makes for great neighbors :D.
You have a real special place there and I hope to someday to have my own little place just a few miles past the end of the road. Loved seeing some of those big, tall, straight pines with 30' to 40' of trunk before you get to the lower branches. You have something special indeed.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

OlJarhead

Thanks :)  We love the place and those big straight pines are what I cut my teeth on (no pun intended LOL).

Carson-saws

Well done Sir! Looking real nice and think it is fantastic you are passing along a skilled trade.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

OlJarhead

Thanks :)  It's been a great experience and I am always planning another trip :)  My sons have grown and left home but one is now a Lead Hand in a sawmill way up north (Chetwynd BC).  Guess the sawdust got in his blood ;)

This was last weekend :)  Lots more done and more to do but always keep the woodstove lit in the winter ;)

Darrel

We've got property that looks very much like that and three miles of rough dirt/mud/snow road to get there, but no cabin yet. Plan to start construction in the spring. Sure is beautiful country!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!