iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweet corn

Started by Frickman, August 18, 2004, 06:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

We're right in the midle of our sweet corn harvest right now, have been picking since July 15. All the hours in the fields have kept me away from the forum quite a bit. In a month maybe I'll have some more time to hang around here. Do any of you like sweet corn? I do, and this might be my favorite time of year.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Buzz-sawyer

Im a feind for the stuff 8)
Do you pick with machines?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Frickman

We pick by hand, carry out by hand, and pack by hand. Yep, alot of hand work. Every field is gone through three times, each time two or three days apart. Not every ear ripens at the same time, and this allows the slowpokes to catch up. If you pick by machine you got one shot to get it right and end up throwing out alot of corn.

The machine pickers are used for cannery corn, the closest cannery to us is about four hours away. All our corn is sold fresh locally, the day it was picked. We hire high school and college kids to help out. We pick every morning and it gives them a few hours work before they go off to other jobs. One boy is my right-hand man and stays all day to help with baling hay in the afternoon.

The toughest thing about picking corn is getting soaking wet every morning. The past two years have had mostly cool nights with heavy dew. This year we've gotten soaked every day except one.

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pete J

It sounds like a tough, but healthy way to make a living. Keep up the good work. Next time I pass a farm stand around here I'm gonna pick myself up some local sweet corn. It's only fresh once a year.

Captain

I got my best corn of the year yesterday out of a pickup truck on the side of the road in Pittsfield, ME.  Should've bought more.

Captain

Gilman

My folks stopped for some sweet corn being sold out of an old pickup truck on their way to the beach.  Get to the beach, boil some water, cook some corn, butter the corn, take a bite, & spit it out.

Turns out it was silage  :D

Bet that guy didn't stick around long.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Buzz-sawyer

Ive eaten field corn before, if you catch it young and tender its not bad ;D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Norm

That reminds me Gilman of when my brother was working for a farmer that had planted some sweet corn out in the middle of a big stand of field corn so folks wouldn't see it from the road. He told us we could have all we wanted so out into the field we went and got a couple of gunny sacks full for freezing. Should have tried some before doing so as it turned out we grabbed field corn instead. :D

Gilman

At least you put it all up before you found out!  :D :D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Fla._Deadheader

Them's called "Roastin Ears", right Arky ???  ;D ;D ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Patty

This has been a banner year for sweet corn aound here. Even was able to harvest some of our own before it got too ripe. (our luck with sweet corn hasn't been so good until the last couple years) Hmmm boy, there is nothing better than an ear of good sweet corn. I like it even right off the stalk, I'll just stand out in the sweet corn patch muncin down the ears. Kinda like the way I pick fresh tomatoes, one for the bucket and two for me.  ;D  
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

etat

QuoteI like it even right off the stalk, I'll just stand out in the sweet corn patch muncin down the ears. Kinda like the way I pick fresh tomatoes, one for the bucket and two for me

made two old memories jump in my head, one....picking strawberry's at mama Hutchinson's, and out behind the barn....climbing that tree and picking muskadines (sp)  at mama tate's.  too many of them and yer lips would start puckerin or blistering, but boy was they good. 8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

;D

I planted corn last year and got to eat about 6 ears, gave away a dozen or so. Then, the coons moved in and took the rest over night. The scare crow didn't phase'm a bit. :D This spring I said to myself, ' I don't want to bother with corn, just for the coons'. Then I got rumaging through the closet in the entry and I find a bag of last year's seed and there was a 1/2 pound of corn seed in there. This was mid july and I decided, why not plant it. I didn't care if I got to eat it, just stuck it in for fun. And this monday will be 5 weeks and the corn is chest high now. :D I'll have corn in Septemeber if the coons don't deside to break it all down before it matures. Sometimes they just chew the sweet stalks, long before the corn flowers.  ::)

I like corn, but I won't buy cobs in stores because its all turned to starch sittin in the heat. Just like eatin wood chips. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Raccoon taste good too. :D

Patty

We run an electric fence  about 5" off the ground around the sweet corn patch to keep the coon out. It works really well.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

SwampDonkey

hmmm I was told to place newspaper down amongst the corn. Anchor the sheets down with rocks. If it don't keep the coons out it'll kill the chick-weed anyway. I got that weed from the nieghbor's weedy straw I used around the strawberries. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

MULE_MAN

My daughter & her Husband planted some sweet corn & the coons started getting in it . So he put a radio out there & turn the volume up .I was kidding her about it & told her the  coons would probably be in there doing the 2 step & electric slide. I called her 2 days later and she say the coons were staying out of there corn . But the 3rd day the battery went dead . And the coons ate good !!!! :D  :D  :D She didn't think it was funny  :-[
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

SwampDonkey

Mule_Man:

My uncle has always done that with success too. He turns it on in the barn and no coons in the corn. :D

These coons around my place have to knock over my rainwater pale every night as if to say, 'we were here last night'.  :D

old3dogg

Ya baby!!
Fresh sweet corn roasted over a wood fire! 8)
At least I know what Im gonna have for dinner tonight. :)

Frickman

One key to good sweet corn is eating it when it's fresh picked. As Swampy found out, the sugar turns to starch after it's picked. This is the seed's long-term survival mechanism, if it senses it is off the stalk it automatically begins converting sugar to starch. Starch can be stored long-term over winter, sugar cannot. We guarantee our corn's quality as it is fresh-picked daily. Always with a Forum hat on my head too.

Years ago there were some unscrupulous operators in our area selling field corn as sweet corn. Alot of this corn was stolen out of farmers fields. White sweet corn took off in popularity as folks thought that it was guaranteed to be sweet corn. There are some varieties of white field corn, though most don't know it. Anyway, sometimes it is a hard sell when all you have that day is yellow or bicolor, as people have memories of being taken in the past.

SwampDonkey

There is one local outfit here that pick their corn daily and keep it in a big cooler in the shed. It's kinda pricy though at $6.00 a dozen, but farm fresh. I'm not trying to knock the farmer 'cause he needs all he can get, but it's hard competing with the store at $2.49 a dozen.  ::) Any corn I eat will be from the garden or can, cause I'm a cheep-scape. :D

The farmer next door has been renting his land to another who has been growing feeder corn for pigs and this year soybeans (75 acres) next to my house for the piggies. But they have about 350 acres of feeder corn in on the same farm as well.

old3dogg

$6.00 a dozen!? :o
I get farm fresh for $3.00 a dozen.$2.00 if you want to pick it yourself.
I have never run into someone trying to sell me feed corn for sweet corn.

Frickman

Two months picking and we're finished! There's been lots of good eatin' around here, I even got a few ears for myself. Now maybe we can get back to sawing.

Patty

You have ALL my respect Frickman. I've picked & sold sweetcorn out of the back of a pick-up, there is nothing easy about it.

Hope you had a good season.  :)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

junkyard

SwampDonkey

Round here farm fresh first of season $2.50 dozen. Soon as every body has it $1.25 Dozen.
 I buy the seed neihbor plants first rows on field corn piece, when it's ready we all eat then he chops for silage.
                     Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Thank You Sponsors!