iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Stand Improvement - yesteryear's data

Started by samm, March 14, 2019, 10:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samm

There's some TSI projects in my area that I'm trying to be a part of as a small tree service. I have access to state forestry information, from the Department of Natural Resources- however the data is from years ago. I'd like to extrapolate the information in their database to today.  I can't access the stands right now, due to the amount of snow we have gotten in our area this year, and I'm trying to estimate trees/acre, avg dbh, and basal area as they exist 10 years after the DNR data was gathered.

For instance, if a timber stand has the following specs, what can I expect the same specs to be after 10 years?
site index: 67, mesic site
topo: steep, northern slope
cover: northern hardwoods
age at inventory: 6 years
avg dbh: 1 to 2.9 inches
density class: 1750-2250 stems / acre
basal area: 76
crop tree species: cherry, oak
crop tree avg dbh: 2 inches
volume / acre: 300 stems
height: 15 ft

Obviously, all depends on stand conditions, windfalls, etc.
Assuming no major storms and average to good growing conditions (mesic site with index 67) of northern hardwoods and the occasional infestation of boxelder, black locust, buckthorn, etc, what kind of dbh, density, and basal area should I expect to see in the stand?

Cheers!
Keep your stick on the Ice!

Texas Ranger

Not in your part of the world, so not even speculation on my part, but, local state foresters or soil conservation types might be able to do some guess work.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!