iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to milling... new to tree ID

Started by Lostalaskan, March 19, 2019, 11:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lostalaskan

Hey guys, long time reader first time poster. I have got into chainsaw milling in order to turn a ponderosa pine into a horse barn, and now I am hooked. Every tree that I see blown over has me wondering what it looks like on the inside. I came across this tree and was told it was walnut, but it doesn't look like I thought it would. Northern California, but was planted, not native to this property. 

WDH

Definitely not walnut.  Do the twigs come off the branch opposite of each other, or do they alternate one side to the next?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lostalaskan

They appear to be opposing to me. 

Lostalaskan

Your question led me down a "ID tree by bark" website and I am being pointed to some type of Maple. 

WDH

It is certainly a maple.  Hence, the question about the branching. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lostalaskan

Got it, is there anything to look for that will identify the species of maple? It has buds coming so I may be able to see leaf color/shape/texture soon. Thanks for the help with this WDH, it looks like any of the subspecies are worth milling up (no fatal flaws that I saw in my research, other than low value of the heartwood).

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!