iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine tree milling

Started by asm9296, May 19, 2019, 03:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm9296

How long can a pine tree sit after cutting before milling?  Loblolly pine.   Bark left on.   

WV Sawmiller

I am sure it varies but around here we mostly have white pine and in the warmer months after a few months you are getting seriously at risk for pine borer beetles that will cut about 3/8" holes in the wood. As I understand if you can debark them that greatly reduces the risk. I bought spud with about a 4" wide head and a sturdy 5' handle at HF I plan to use for stripping bark off my logs. I have not used it enough to verify how well it will work yet.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Lawg Dawg

Better hurry up and saw it, trust me
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

Note:  Adding your location to your profile greatly helps with answering questions.  :P

In my location, during the Winter, 2-3 months is generally OK.  Summer, within a month is best.  As LD eluded to above, the log starts degrading the instant that it hits the ground.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

richhiway

It depends. I have cut pine that was two years old that was good without pine borers. Other times they start chewing up the wood right away,you can hear them.They only start when it is above freezing so you will be safe in cold weather. If you want some pine with "character" you let it sit for a few years,it will get blue stain and the borers will chew all those pretty holes!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

@asm9296 said "Loblolly" which puts him somewhere in the South.  Not much cold to prevent borers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Yup, and with the furnace just turning on they will begin to stain quicker and spoil faster. Ironically white pine lasts longer on the ground than loblolly. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!