iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

milling a walnut tree in No. Va.?

Started by eroma, February 15, 2013, 09:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eroma

Okay, having read these posts I know I'm very naive about this process, but I'd like to turn a black walnut tree from my yard (that I need to take down) into a dining room table, if possible. The tree is about 17-18" in diameter and perhaps 30 feet tall. Any idea who may be able to help with this process in Northern Virigina?  At the very least I know I need the tree milled and the wood dried (from my reserach, the kiln seems the way to go on this).  My father and brother are both carpenters, so I can always have them turning the raw materials into a table, once the wood is ready to go.  Thanks for any guidance you can provide! 

submarinesailor

eroma,

Where in N. VA are you located?  There are several millers in the area.

Bruce

hackberry jake

30 feet is a short tree. When you say 17-18" is that the measurement around the tree? Walnut is the gentlemans wood. It dries fairly easily and good luck on starting your sawdust addiction  8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

dboyt

Might check with the Virginia Forest Products Assoc. (http://vfpa.net/).  If they are any thing like the Missouri Forest Products Assoc, they have a pretty complete list of loggers & sawyers, including some portable sawmills.  Wish I were closer! Be careful bringing that tree down (Or better yet, get a professional to do it).  Houses and power lines are like tree magnets.  A tree will absolutely defy the known laws of gravity to take out a powerline.  Go ahead, ask me how I know...
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Ianab

Finding a local sawmill operator will be the main thing. With only a couple of smaller logs you will be best to carry the logs to the mill to reduce the cost. Otherwise the travel / setup for the mill may be more than the cost of the sawing.

Because it's walnut you don't really "need" to kiln it. It will air dry fine in maybe 6 months.

It's certainly practical to do this, main thing is getting the log sawn. Everything else you can do with normal home woodworking tools.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

eroma,welcome to the forum. A portable mill may charge a set up fee just for a few logs. But if you have no way to get the logs to a mill that maybe the way to go. If someone does come and saw it on your land,you will need to get rid of the slabs and clean up the sawdust too. Yard trees are known to have metal in them too. I would wait to cut the tree down. Talk to a sawyer,he may be able to help you out with where to cut it and why to get the best lumber. By the way,do you know how to cut a tree down?? Is the tree close to your house,power lines,street?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!