iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skilled Operator or Operator Error

Started by Gary_C, March 08, 2009, 12:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LuckyLogger6

Hey Guys I have a question for ya. I have run equipment all my life currently run a stroker and the company just got a 1998 Rottne H8 or 5000 CTL harvester i was told next week its going to be my baby but they are sending me to the thinning side of the company.  :) I have never thinned anything except my hair or ever run a Rottne machine i was wondering if any one had a diagram of the controls so i dont look like an compleat idiot my first time on that machine and any advice, tips and tricks about thinning would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Dom

LuckyLogger6,

I would call Blondin Inc. in the USA for info on the machine. Being a 1998, I would imagine its a 5000. I worked for Rocan, who sold all the Rottne's in Canada, and a portion in the USA. Rottne's are popular in Eastern Canada. Rottne's are usually known for operator comfort, let me know how it works for you. 

Also, if anyone is looking for Valmet levers like the ones pictured above, I know where theres a set for sale in NB, Canada.

LuckyLogger6

thanks ill look them up does anyone have any tips on thinning?

beenthere

LuckyLogger6
Welcome to the forum.

Ideas on thinning would likely be based on what's the objective of the thinning.  Thinning could be many things, especially now-days. Might be to remove fuel for fire suppression, or to open up the stand for management practices planned, or to remove large trees for release of small ones. From soup to nuts and still called thinning.

Any ideas what the management plan might be?

Good luck on the controls of the new machine.

Your not one of the new actors in a TV show are you?   ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Ditto! to what beenthere started.

Understand the specific objectives for the thinning of which there can be many and follow the directions of the administering forester or landowner.
~Ron

LuckyLogger6

I  understand guys I'm not sure why the are sending me to the thinning side next week and figured throw me on the new machine. but i guess ill learn the hard way i have always been really quick to pick up new machines so it shouldn't be too bad of a learning curve :)

Gary_C

I hope you are not being thrown into a thinning job with no machine operator training or cutting training. If you were going into a clearcut, it would be bad enough, but not a thinning.

Like the others have said, it depends on the objectives of the job. In some cases those thinning jobs have marked trees and some it's operator selection. Operator selection is easier but requires more skill from the operator to do it right. The last pine thinning I did was operator selection, the only kind I will buy anymore, and because of so many double tops the forester decided he needed to mark trees after I started. It was somewhat OK but still those machines do not drive like snakes and I just took what extra I needed to get thru.

Best advise is to get some training first.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

LuckyLogger6

ya i have run equipment all my life farming, construction, and now logging i can run loader, skidder, and stroker processor but i have never even sat in a harvester but i guess they think i am the guy for the job ill have to ask about some training it will be interesting i guess  :D

Ron Scott

Skilled operators are soon recognized by their knowledge, skills, and abilities to work in thinnings without damaging the residuals according to the thinning prescription.  A beginning operator can soon become an excellent operator by following the prescription as to what is to be done and threading lightly on the landscape.
~Ron

nhlogga

Try an old timberjack. then try another one. the steering can be opposite the blade is on the left winch on right or vice versa. pain in the butt. despise the old timberjacks.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Thank You Sponsors!