iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

we rescued a brittany

Started by glassman_48, October 16, 2018, 10:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassman_48

DPatton,
I read a book about 2 brothers back in the 60's that raised brittany's, at the end of the book was a poem about his dog "beau" they had a bet with their other hunting buddies that had pointers about which dogs were better :laugh: From what I can remember the 2 breeds stayed neck and neck the first day, the brittany pulled ahead the second day, and the third day the pointers were running out of gas and the brittany was still hunting.  One of my goals after I get this guy hunting well is to head out your way for a week.  A bunch of guys in Michigan make that annual trek to Nebraska for pheasants.  Yesterday, I ran cash in some woods that were pretty thick, but he could still run pretty hard.  Its the best he has ever hunted, it was just like I wanted, he would always check back, I only called him back a couple of times when he ranged out farther than I like.  He is staying closer in the thick stuff, and farther out in the open.  He was 2.5 years old when we rescued him, without hunting experience so its like having a pup in some ways.  I see him do stuff in the woods that I think are accidents, but they are not.  That dog is just that smart I think.  I am not doubting him in the field anymore :laugh:

glassman_48

The brittany breeder has a buddy that has a small female gsp, and the brittany breeder has a young female brittany.  They hunt together all the time, I have never seen anything like those 2 little pocket rockets, my dog cash has a longer stride, watching those 2 females makes you think nothing out there in the field could escape them.  I wonder if part of that might be that they hunt them together?  And they learn from each other that style.  I watched cashs mom last summer, and she hunts similar I call it pocket rocket style :laugh:  My other buddy has 2 brittanies that are 9 and 10 years old, before I got cash our hour long rides to a pheasant farm gave me a good base for learning about brittanies and hunting them in general.  Then out in the field whenever we had a chance, he would explain why he did something the way he did, or why the dogs did something a certain way.  Man I learned a lot.  Now we have 3 dogs so unless we get a bigger vehicle, we can't ride together.  Half the fun is my ride down and back with a brittany dictionary thats willing to share :laugh:

DPatton

Glassman, that sounds a lot like my experience with them. My Brit lived  15 years 3 months. He hunted upland birds a full 13 of those years in multiple states and never stopped teaching me or the guys I hunt with new tricks. He always had a hot nose with good pointing and retrieving skills. But it wasn't till he was 3 years old that I got in a pickle with some wounded speckle belly geese one day that he showed me his full capabilities.

See I was waterfowl hunting a 40 acre pond by myself (no dog) when I brought down two specks, but they were only wounded and swimming around this lake. I couldn't get close enuf to finish em off and I wasn't about to leave em. I didn't know what else to do so I quick drove home and got Gunner as a desperate last attempt. After that day for the next ten years I never went waterfowl hunting without him again! He was my best asset laying in my lay down blind next to me for 30-45 days a typical season. Best part was watching buddies and acquaintances with trained retrievers just shake their heads in disbelief.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

firefighter ontheside

Brittanies are my favorite dogs.  We rescued my old dog Lincoln.  A friend of ours had taken him from a kill shelter so they wouldn't kill him.  We got him when he was about 1 year old.  He lived to be 14.  He was very different than yours.  We could never get him to out on any weight, no matter how we tried.  My new dog is maybe part Brittany and part springer.  We rescued Junebug too.
First pic is new dog.  Second pic is older dog, all Brittany.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

glassman_48

DPatton,
Thats a great story with the geese.  My buddies 2 brittanies often go into a pond after pheasants that we shoot.  My buddy Fred said every one of his brittanies did the same thing.  I havent worked with cash yet on that.  Yesterday, he found his 3rd porcupine, at least he got a half hour run in before that happened. >:( >:( I pulled out probably 20 quills out of his legs, the ones in his nose and around his mouth he didn't like me pulling.  One emergency room later,,,,,,,Firefighter, I am glad you rescued those dogs, those eyes will just melt a person. I think dogs know when they are rescued, or just treated well, or both, I get those "eyes" from my dogs a lot too. It really makes my life better having them around.  My wife was the dog lover before she met me, now I make room for them in my busy life, its taught me patience.  My 2 year old havanese follows me everywhere in the house, if I am on computer he is laying next to my chair, if I am on recliner, he is on my lap, if I lay on couch, he lays near my head :laugh:  When I get home from work, its a circus which one gets to me first, the 2 year old often jumps over the brittanies back to get to me :laugh: Those 3 dogs have made me a better person, and my marriage is stronger because of them.

glassman_48

Just an update :laugh: Johnny Cash found 3 porcupines in 1 week, 2 emergency room visits, he found probably a week old dead porcupine today while hunting, he ran up to it before I knew what he was after,  sniffed it, then left immediately, I ran up saw it had been  dead for a while, looked at his face, no quills, I scolded him, then started hunting again, saw him head back that way, had my shock collar on a higher than normal setting.  when he went back, I scolded and shocked at the same time.  He trotted away looking back, I gave him the chance to go back on his own and he ignored the porcupine after that.  I am hoping this will help.  The breeder wants to try a similar approach with a fresh road kill porcupine.  I will take his advice on this.  This should be the last week around here for woodcock, there arent as many points as a couple weeks ago.  This has been a blast watching him hunt, he is getting better every week.  He is starting to trail running birds, going to take a bit for him to figure this all out, but he is all business out in the field.  

DPatton

Lucky for me porcupine is real scarce where I'm from. But I have spent far too many days holed up in a lay-down blind with a Britt that had tangled with a skunk on the way in to our duck hunting spot that morning >:( >:( >:(. After the first week or so the intensity of that smell starts to fade. But every time he'd get wet retrieving a duck or goose the smell kept coming back. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

glassman_48

Dpatton,
I think I posted earlier about cash finding a skunk about a month ago.  He is setting records, 1 skunk, 3 porcupines, thats 1 per week average >:( Part of it is me I know, I watch the guys with brittanies and they are more alert to situations than I have been.  I am learning to look ahead of him for trouble.  He still has a very slight skunk odor from a month ago.  

firefighter ontheside

I had to look up the Havanese.  I'd never heard of that breed.  Well, it sure looks a lot like my other dog, Sprocket.  We named him after the muppet dog, Sprocket, on the show Fragglerock.  He may not be all Havanese, but I'd bet he's part.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

glassman_48

firefighter,
They look a little like a shitzu, about 12 pounds.  My 10 year old rules the roost :laugh: The brittany doesnt mess with him, but plays with the 2 year old havanese all the time.  Havanese are hypoallergenic, I am allergic to dogs, but wife loves them so wanted her not to go through life with me without at least one dog, so now we have three.  Does anyone know how to say my wife might be a little spoiled 8) I remind her of that all the time.  I bought her a pair of brush pants so she can watch the brittany out in the woods.  Her first day will be tomorrow in the woods.  I usually find a spot she can walk on a powerline, and I go into the thicker stuff.  She hasn't seen the brittany point a wild bird yet.  She wants to see that.  We got a partridge today, they are tough and usually run and in thick stuff not much of a chance to get a shot.  Got lucky today.

Thank You Sponsors!