iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A nice claro walnut

Started by tule peak timber, March 25, 2014, 07:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Getting ready to cut a nice claro walnut log today. A tick under 25000 lbs , 12 feet long. The guy in the photo is 6 foot 3 inches tall for reference.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

kczbest

NICE! Looks like fun. Post some pics once you open her up.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Anderson

Hoooolllyyyy cow!

Looking forward to this! 8)

thecfarm

Any pictures of that thing standing  :o ?? I do hope you show pictures of whatever you have to saw that with. And sawing it too. Cutting slabs???Lumber,for no better wood??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

I don't think watering it is going to help at this point...... BWAAHAAHAAHAA!!!! :D

That is impressive. Can't wait to see whats inside.

5quarter

I hope you have a slabber somewhere...the woodmizer's probably already trying to sneak off in search of easier work.  ;) :D :D

Looks like you got the stem and most of the root ball. That's gonna be sweet!
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

scully

Please tell me you have a head rig !!!!!.......
I bleed orange  .

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hunz

That one boggles the mind, I can't wait to see some slabs!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Freedom6178

------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

m wood

Thanks for that picture Steve.  Is that log fairly fresh fallen, or have people been looking at it a while, wondering how in the world can that monster be sawn?
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

kelLOGg

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on March 25, 2014, 09:27:58 PM
I don't think watering it is going to help at this point...... BWAAHAAHAAHAA!!!! :D

That is impressive. Can't wait to see whats inside.

:D :D :D :D  I'm with DJ on this one!
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Jemclimber

WOW! Thanks for sharing. How did you move it?
lt15

Nomad

I hope you post lots of pictures of your progress.  I'd really like to see this one!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

I am anxious to see what is inside.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AdamT

You'll probably need 2 cant hooks for that sucker!

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Weekend_Sawyer

Yes, please post pix of the process of converting this into great stuff.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

woodworker9

I'm salivating thinking of the number of awesome slab tables I could make with that.  I sure hope to see photos, like the rest of the gang.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

tule peak timber

As soon as the weather breaks, I will post pics of the scaffolding to support the mill over the log.In the shop today working on other projects......

tule peak timber

Finally got the scaffolding up today and will be slabbing soon between other jobs... Rob

kczbest

I'm looking forward to the pics yet to come. smiley_whip
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Nomad

That qualifies as a big log. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

smiley_curtain_peek   I am going to hide back here and watch this.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

tule peak timber

Trimming the flutes back to 76 inches wide this morning and hopefully will start breaking this thing up today. Plumb and level a must ! Stay tuned and wish me luck  :)

JohnM

TPT, how do you lift the carriage/saw into place?  Looking forward to seeing the slabs!
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

tule peak timber

John , We used a forklift with sideshift to mount the carriage ( see pic ). We worked the early part of the day to make sure the Lucas was secured properly and everything was just right. We only got down to the sapwood (see pic) and finished the day prepping extra wide bunking and stickers .The sapwood pic is a full 12 feet long for perspective of proportion on this log . There are five 24 inch branches in a cluster at the top of this thing and I expect plenty of flame. We will mill a bit more tomorrow between customers. So far so good....Rob

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

coalsmok

Wow. Cant wait to see the rest of it.

Ianab

Quote from: coalsmok on April 16, 2014, 07:32:30 AM
Wow. Cant wait to see the rest of it.

Heck yeah.  :D

It's like on your favourite TV show... Tune in next week to see...  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tule peak timber

Funny , you mentioned TV. We tried out for a Dodge Ram truck commercial last year, and did not get the spot. Shortly afterward we were approached to be part of a reality sawmill series, and I turned them down.
  The difference between TV and this site is that the quality of content here is much better :)

JohnM

Quote from: tule peak timber on April 16, 2014, 09:28:28 AM
Shortly afterward we were approached to be part of a reality sawmill series, and I turned them down.
:D Now that sounds familiar.  Anyone have that link handy? :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Delawhere Jack

Does anyone else see awesome gun stocks in that last photo?  :o

brianb88

This is going to be good.  What a log!  :)
Measure twice, cut once

hackberry jake

We need a new reality tv show. "MONSTER LOGS!"
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mesquite buckeye

Get back to us when you find a big one. ;D

Seriously, extremely cool. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) dadgum you, Charlie! logrite_cool
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

darrenjttu

We need more pics. This tree is awesome!

jamesamd

Quote from: tule peak timber on April 16, 2014, 09:28:28 AM
  The difference between TV and this site is that the quality of content here is much better :)

Word Rob,Word ;)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

customsawyer

I think we need to throw that one back and let it grow.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

tule peak timber

Sorry no pics of the big slabs yet. A couple of days ago we snapped a ball joint on one of the loaders and had to switch to other work. Attached is a pic of the next claro walnut in line, it tips the scales at 17600 lbs. The slab picture is from another log cut last year and I can tell that the giant log has a lot more reddish color and quilting yet to be revealed .I hope everyone has a great Easter weekend. I'm taking the weekend off to cook and be with my wife, my kids, and the extended family. My first weekend off in almost one year.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It should be against the law to even post pics like this.  :D :D :D

thecfarm

POSTON,what's even worse is he's taking the whole weekend off!!  :o :o I was looking forward to some nice looking slabs before than.  ::)
Enjoy the time off and the family.
See ya Monday morning.  :D
That slab would look real nice with a clear finish on it. And than some.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Whatcha say David.  Wanna go in with me for $300.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on April 18, 2014, 09:01:23 PM
Whatcha say David.  Wanna go in with me for $300.   ;D

That wouldn't buy the "Live Edge".  :o
:D :D :D :D :D

Literally no sap wood.......what are they feeding these trees.....Grits?  :D :D :D

tule peak timber

I try to avoid grids as they are hard on the blades

WDH

On no, David.  Looks like we lost another one  :).

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:) Ashes to ashes....dust to dust.

mikeb1079

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

21incher

That second picture looks like tule peak is about to grab the slab, pick it up and carry it away. I think we have found Superman  :). Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

5quarter

I think he's just holding it up for a picture. or he just swatted a horse fly.  ;) ;D :D
Blue Harbor Refinishing

tule peak timber

We got through 1/3 of the log today. The measurement stick is 4 feet .Lots of birds eye , fiddleback, and good color so far.... Cheers   Rob

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

I agree with Jake.   :o   8)

sawdust joe

WOW WOW Open it up Pics please.....
Sawdust joe

resqd1

What does one of these slabs go for once cut, that is amazing? Amazing live edge table right there

Me and My Stihls

hunz

I'd be willing to trade you for a day off if you'd like, just pm me haha
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

customsawyer

That is one fine piece of wood.   8)
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ianab

QuoteWhat does one of these slabs go for once cut, that is amazing? Amazing live edge table right there

Can't speak about your local markets. But a table made out of that slab might go for $5,000 ? So asking $1,000 for the raw slab isn't unreasonable.  That's what a chunk of Rimu or Kauri pine would sell for here anyway.

This is where chainsaw slabbers come into their own. Turn a big ugly log that no one wants into Awesome table top slabs that are worth big money to the right buyers. Forget about bd/ft per hour. If it takes 1/2 an hour to cut a slab, so what?

You can't buy a board like that at most lumber yards.   ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

I agree with both Jakes. 

isawlogs

Awsome slabs, just awsome !!!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Kcwoodbutcher

I think 1K per slab is on the low side. If you're patient and give them some drying time they should go for 5K and up, but I think he already know that.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

jamesamd

Magnificent,$25,000 in NYC,easily ;D

Board rooms ,reception desks,lawyers,I'd be happy to be Your local agent
for a mere 50% - all costs ;)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

tcg

This is what I absolutely enjoy about this forum I am continuously learning.
I had no clue what Claro Walnut was or where (googled it).
Now all I can say is WOW!

tule peak timber

I already have in mind a spec project for a 24 foot conference table that I want to marry mixed mediums into and  push the envelope...Thanks for all the comments, I was relieved to find something other than a petrified squirrel inside this thing LOL .  Rob

Larry

About 10 years ago there was a little article in the front section of FWW.  A picture of a walnut conference table that sold for $40,000 per the article.  Sam Talarico sawed the slabs.

Allowing for inflation maybe $50,000 today...I'll help carry the money to the bank. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

MotorSeven

Awesome...keep the pic's coming..............!
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

21incher

Awesome slabs, one of them should hang in a museum gallery for future generations to enjoy. How do you dry something that big?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Autocar

Talk about amazing gun stock material , it sure is beautiful thank you for scharing your progress.
Bill

Farmer Jim

If this violates forum rules, please remove:    Check out the Goby Walnut web page for slab prices.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

JB Griffin

:o :o :o :o :o :o

That thing is gorgeous. :o :o
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

tule peak timber

We wrapped up the big claro walnut log today, broke down the mill and are getting ready for new logs to come in on Wednesday. The tally on this single log was 20 premium jumbo table tops at around 6' wide and 2-3/4" net thick, and 12' long. One odd shaped piece 7" thick for fire place mantels, 4 large coffee tables and several multi 100 lb. hunks of burl from the flutes. The Lucas mill performed flawlessly and all the cuts came out pretty smooth and even. All in all, a good week.
Cheers, Rob

WDH

That is some fine milling.  Will you cover the stack?

tule peak timber

Yes , we did put put 8x8 ridge on top,  then corrugated steel roofing, then tied the whole mess down with 1/2 inch line. Lots of hot sun and occasional very HIGH winds !

WDH

That is a well prepared stack. 

Magicman

That stack qualifies as a whack.   8)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That stack makes me sick!  :D
I hope the wind blows it all the way to South Carolina.  :D :D :D

tule peak timber

I need to laugh..we had a call from North Carolina this morning about purchasing one of the slabs . :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 16, 2014, 10:05:23 PM
I need to laugh..we had a call from North Carolina this morning about purchasing one of the slabs . :D

That's close enough.  ;D How much are those slabs?

Magicman

Don't let Poston be your sales agent.  He will sell every one of them for $300 each.   :o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 16, 2014, 10:08:38 PM
Don't let Poston be your sales agent.  He will sell every one of them for $300 each.   :o

Thats probably half the shipping.  :)

tule peak timber

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

WDH

Well, it they are going for $300, I will take a couple  ;D.

drobertson

Absolutely spectacular display of a quality log, and the perfect machine and operator for the job!  I can only imagine that Lucas will be receiving many calls over the summer, and beyond from this posting.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tule peak timber

Thanks drobertson .Yes we are really happy with the Lucas performance for sure!  ;D As far as distributing these nice slabs to friends here on the Forum, unfortunately my wife said no...The next Claro log in the deck is over six feet in diameter at the butt flutes but only weighs in at 17600 lbs, a lot smaller than the big one. No milling today as we anxiously await pictures from the sycamore project 3 at Customsawyers place !! Cheers  Rob

5quarter

Rob...Tremendous work and really exceptional wood! The only time I ever get to work with Claro in on the occasional piano case. I'd love get a few seedlings and see if I can get em to winter over here in NE. Our library has a couple bald cypress out front of the building and they're doing well, I even have two Sitka spruce in my wind break! ;) 8) 8) 8)
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!