iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something stupid

Started by thecfarm, November 25, 2017, 07:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on December 30, 2017, 10:57:50 PM
Not exactly the ones I was wanting to get, but better than no chaps at all  ;)

Glad to hear you made the purchase. ANY chaps are a major step up from just wearing jeans.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Woodcutter_Mo

Yea, they will definitely help for sure. I plan to pick up some stihl promark full wrap chaps later on, nobody local had them though. These will be cooler in the summer when it's hot though so they'll be nice to have.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Ron Scott

Great gift for the chainsaw user.
~Ron

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

luvmexfood

Few years back I was cleaning a fencerow out. Bumped my thigh with the saw. Looked down and saw a rip and first thought was darn. Ripped my pants. About 5 seconds later realized what had happened and through saw down and ripped pants open. Just two scratches but I still have the scars today. Couple railroad tracks that seem to get worse with age.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

bdsmith

Quote from: thecfarm on November 25, 2017, 07:33:44 PM
No,did not climb a ladder. Worse.  ::)  I was heading into the woods to cut an old dead stub of a tree. Got about halfway into the woods and realized I forgot my chaps. I had them hanging up in the tractor shed,drying from when I was out in the rain.Did not want to spend the 5 minutes that it would take to go back and get them.   ::)  Ayup,hit my leg with the saw. Nothing bad,I hope. Did not bleed much. I have 2 marks,as wide as a chain about 2 inches long on my left leg below my knee. I was clearing some small fir out of the way to get a good clear path to cut down the stub. I kept on a cutting,when I knew it was not bad. At least I got the stub down.  ;D
And yes,I will keep an eye on it too. I need that leg right where it is.

I hope you are healed up by now but hydrogen peroxide is better disinfectant than alcohol or iodine.  It kills bacteria and virus and it doesn't sting as much.  A drop on your finger tip once or twice a day does wonders.

BTW: any recommendations on brands of chaps?  With a price range from $45 to $180, I'm sure there are some key differences.

thecfarm

Ayup all healed. More than lucky. This time!!  :o  I had to report to head boss each night. She was watching it just about as close as I was. I mentioned she went to the Labonville store and bought me a new pair. Lesson learned. Lucky once,maybe not so lucky next time. Yes,
hydrogen peroxide was used at least once a day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

Man,those cuts look like they will stay with me for awhile.  :o   ::) They are still about a ¼ inch wide. But are all healed over and than some. Some new skin was added to my leg.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Quote from: thecfarm on January 21, 2018, 01:21:03 PM
Man,those cuts look like they will stay with me for awhile.  :o   ::) They are still about a ¼ inch wide. But are all healed over and than some. Some new skin was added to my leg.  ;D

Normally, I'd say "where are the pictures? If there are no pics, it didn't happen."

However, I think I'll take your word for it this time.

Chainsaw cuts are tough to heal. They don't really cut (where you could just pull the two sides together with a bandaid, butterfly bandage or stitches) they shred. If nothing else, maybe you'll have a nice scar to show the kids who think they are too tough or somehow immune to accidents to need chaps.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

teakwood

i am glad to hear that you're fine
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Wood Shed

Have owned and operated chain saws all of my life.  Started out not using any of the safety wear I now use on a regular basis.  My list of safety related accessories include much more than just a good pair of chaps.  My down fall comes from things making me uncomfortable while working and taking them off and I regularly forget something.  You just have to do your best.  I just have to think of a guy I know from work that has permanent nerve damage that causes a foot drop and severe limp.  Glad you are OK.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

BobbyG

I'm glad your injury was minor and you're OK.

I know I'll be the odd man out here but I've never worn chaps in the 40+ years I've been cutting. Now, I'm not a "professional" meaning I don't cut for a living but I'll drop and cut 5 to 6 cords of wood annually.

Safety is important to me and always has been. I wear eye protection, hearing protection, gloves, and a helmet but no chaps. It's been working for me and my plan is to stick with it for the type of cutting and hauling I do.

teakwood

40years without leg protection!! :o

John Mc

Quote from: BobbyG on January 24, 2018, 05:28:44 AM
I'm glad your injury was minor and you're OK.

I know I'll be the odd man out here but I've never worn chaps in the 40+ years I've been cutting. Now, I'm not a "professional" meaning I don't cut for a living but I'll drop and cut 5 to 6 cords of wood annually.

Safety is important to me and always has been. I wear eye protection, hearing protection, gloves, and a helmet but no chaps. It's been working for me and my plan is to stick with it for the type of cutting and hauling I do.

Booby G, I guess that's your decision to make (at least as long as you are not cutting commercially, where your employer, OSHA and the insurance companies get involved). Everyone has their own tolerance for risk (I fly small aircraft, and used to do rock climbing. My wife rides a motorcycle, and is also a pilot.)

I do hope that some day you will reconsider. No one plans to have an accident. Everyone thinks they are safe... until they are not. There are reasons that logging has one of the highest worker's comp rates of any job in the US, and why insurance companies have conniption fits if they find out an employer is not requiring employees to wear the appropriate protective equipment. I recognize that there are situations where other considerations may outweigh the safety benefits of wearing chaps or chainsaw pants (for example some of our members cut in hotter climates where heat stroke/heat exhaustion is a real danger).

When I first got into this, I cut my firewood for a few weeks with only safety glasses and ear plugs for protective gear. I eventually decided that I wanted to be around to watch my kids grow up, and have full use of all of my limbs while doing so. I added chaps and a helmet, and a couple years later some chainsaw boots. All of those have been upgraded/replaced over the years with equipment that either provides better protection and/or is more comfortable (so I'm more likely to actually use the stuff).

[EDIT] That sounded a lot more preachy than I intended. Stepping down off my soapbox now.

thecfarm

My Father never wore safety gear and he cut a lot of wood. He never said a word when I showed up with safety glasses,hard hat. I can't remember if he ever saw me in a pair of chaps. Some can do good,some not so good, Kinda like a roll of the dice. Just never know what will come up next.

Kwill

I caught my boot the other day with the chain. Just barely touched it  and the saw was idling but it cut it. No more waterproof
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

teakwood

I work probably in the hottest area of all FF members but that is no excuse to not wear the chainsaw pants, of course i would not want to use chaps.
On the landing sometimes i don't use the safety pants and i think it will be pretty hard to cut yourself doing the landing work, but in the woods without pants it's a big no no for me.

I have a much harder time to use the helmet, i just last 2-3 hours and them the headache begins :(  For my defense: teak plantations don't have dead stuff hanging around 

John Mc

Quote from: teakwood on January 26, 2018, 06:54:34 AM
I work probably in the hottest area of all FF members but that is no excuse to not wear the chainsaw pants, of course i would not want to use chaps.
On the landing sometimes i don't use the safety pants and i think it will be pretty hard to cut yourself doing the landing work, but in the woods without pants it's a big no no for me.

I don't envy you we occasionally see 90-95˚F (32-35˚C) and humid around here, but it usually doesn't last more than a few days. Fortunately, since I'm not doing this for a living, I usually just stop on those days (though I have been known to occasionally go for a session in the woods on days like that).

QuoteI have a much harder time to use the helmet, i just last 2-3 hours and them the headache begins :(  For my defense: teak plantations don't have dead stuff hanging around

I have a problem with helmets as well. An old college wrestling injury means that wearing a helmet for an extended time really messes up my neck. If I haven't worn it in a while, a couple of days of solid use usually mean a visit to the chiropractor and/or getting my physical therapist wife to work on me. Removing the hearing protection from the helmet and just wearing ear plugs helps, but I don't always do that (those built-in ear muffs certainly are convenient). I also take the helmet off and just wear safety glasses and hearing protection when I'm doing work where overhead hazards are not an issue.

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on January 26, 2018, 06:54:34 AM
I have a much harder time to use the helmet, i just last 2-3 hours and them the headache begins :(  For my defense: teak plantations don't have dead stuff hanging around
teakwood, I look at your skidder in your avatar photo.
From experience operating skidders I remember a few times when ever I abruptly ran over a log, rock, high stump the side of my helmet struck the inside of the canopy so hard that it would fly off resulting in a sore neck.

Now if my bare ahead struck that canopy....ouch! :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

teakwood

I understand, but that is impossible it could happen in my situations. All my skid trails are clean clean. they are bulldozed over every other year. and when i leave the trail i back up so slowly that i ran over stuff almost in slow motion.

but thanks for the warning 

Thank You Sponsors!