iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gypsum fire barrier for SIP roof panels, is it required?

Started by Thehardway, March 25, 2008, 08:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thehardway

Just going though the typical detail drawings on the SIP roof panels I plan to use.  It calls out a Gypsum fire barrier to be placed on the interior.  I was planning to use 3/8" pine bead board.  I wanted to finish and apply beadboard prior to panel placement.  Putting gypsum on this under the beadboard would really make the panels heavy and also cost a good bit more.  Has anyone run into this issue?   What if any are the alternatives?  These are 24'X8' panels so they are already heavy.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Don P

I think it should be a call to the manufacturer as to whether that is recommended or required. It's news to me if it's required, I'd like to hear back if it is.

moonhill

I bet codes are different in different areas.  Here one needs, as a minimum, 3/4" board, no drywall.  I would feel safer with drywall as a fire break.   Tim B.
This is a test, please stand by...

stonebroke

I thought all the states had the International Building Code now. Thats what we were told when NY passed it.

Stonebroke

Brad_bb

Are these SIPS the older EPS (poly styrene)?  Though I haven't got into it too much yet, at the timberframe expo close to me this last fall, Heartwood timberframes (I think) was talking about a newer SIP that is a urethane based one and is fire retardant or self extinguishing - I can't remember which.  The have been out for about 5 years is what i heard and pass fire code here in IL according to the presentation (regular EPS won't by themselves).  I also believe that they are allowed to run the plastic conduit and boxes in the SIPS whereas with conventional they require metal.  Don't quote me, but this is the jist of what I heard and I'll be looking into it for my timberframe.  Oh, they R values for these sips are better allowing for a 4 inch thick sip for walls that traditionally would have taken a 6 inch in EPS.  Thinner needed for roof too.    I recommend doing a google search for urethane SIP and fire.  One link I came across is taunton.com/finehomebuilding/how-to/articles/structural-insulated-panels.aspx
(copy and paste this in your browser, I intentionally made it an inactive link to try to comply with FF rules).
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

moonhill

I don't know why I bet codes were different, I don't even buy lottery tickets.   Tim B.
This is a test, please stand by...

Thank You Sponsors!