iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

burr oak

Started by ely, April 26, 2007, 08:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

here is a burr oak that i cut some time back, it was 44 inches on the small end and 12 feet long. i quarter sawed it. made some pretty wood. i had to quarter the log with my chainsaw to get it on the mill.

Dodgy Loner

Wow.  I quartering that log must've been a lotta work  :o
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

ely

yeah it took me a couple hours to get it quartered up.  i had a 61 husky with a 24 inch bar. my bobcat would not pick up half the log, it sort of handled the quarters ok though.

metalspinner

I love standing next to big logs like that.  Do you have any pics of the lumber?  What kind of mill do you have?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

ely

i do not have pics of the lumber, but i do have a smaller log like that one and will get pics when i q-saw it. i have a lm 2000. i will get photos of my set up on here next week i hope. thats if i can find them and get them adjusted to fit the forum  :D

WDH

ely,

That is a whack of burr oak :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

Burr oak, at least in my area has big, thick, and juicy $$-Rays-$$...perfect for quarter sawing.  How wide of boards did ya get out of that puppy?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

rebocardo

Beautiful looking log, I can see why the Bobcat had trouble.

ely

i want to say i got a few really clean quarter sawn boards that was 14 inches wide. i remember saying man thats some wide q-sawn boards. the man i sawed it for has yet to come pic it up. i think maybe storage fees has eaten up most of the finer cuts ;D i am thinking it would look good as a desk in my front room.

Thank You Sponsors!