iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

The squirrels go nuts over this tree.  When the crop is good, my dad will shoot dozens of squirrels trying to defend his trees.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

nativewolf

I am shocked you'd do this to danny on a monday morning.  Making him see the devil before noon on Monday. Shame shame...

Danny just go out to the storage area and find some nice flat smooth Walnut.  Just look at that nice flat board...forget all about the devil, only good for smoking bbq anyway
Liking Walnut

Texas Ranger

these things drive me nuts
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Woodpecker52

As in the movie Gold Member todays tree says "Shag me baby"
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

caveman

Quote from: nativewolf on July 22, 2019, 08:36:19 AMI am shocked you'd do this to danny on a monday morning. Making him see the devil before noon on Monday.
I did give that some careful consideration.  He was not logged on when I posted the tree of the day this morning but within minutes he replied with an emoji. I am getting kind of close to the bottom of the barrel (old saying).  Kind of surprised that someone from Illinois has not chimed in.

I have not had an opportunity to go to the coast this summer.  Usually, during the summer I spend a lot of time at Anna Maria Island.  Although it is only 50-60 miles from here as the crow flies, there are many trees that grow there that don't here.  The next time I go I will collect some real and photographic dendro samples to share.
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

I will make an effort this week to be able to post a few trees of the day.  I don't have a lot that you haven't done, but maybe a few.  We need someone from the "West" to post something.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

Today's tree was Pecan (Carya illinoinensis).  
Caveman

Don P

I've got another on the computer to give the barrel a break. This is a cousin of one from a week or two ago.

Texas Ranger

Think I'm pounding my chest on this one
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

caveman

This one does not appear to be in a swamp.  Thank you for today's tree of the day submission.  I believe this is a picture of Customsawyer getting a swampy cousin of today's tree ready for a quartersawing demonstration at his 2017 project.

Caveman

Don P

Yup, this is an upland cousin. It's really not good for a barrel but it was a popular tanbark tree.

WDH

We don't see it here in the upper coastal plain.  Have to go to the northern end of the Piedmont or mountains to see it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Has a somewhat confusing scientific name considering it doesn't grow there, but it does describe where it grows.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

Y'all got it, Chestnut oak, Quercus prinus, also goes by quercus montana but I think prinus is preferred, I do see both in gov't publications though. It's also known as sill oak and tanoak. It doesn't have many tyloses blocking the cell lumens so is a "leaky" white, no good for tight cooperage. The wood is coarser grained than white oak but still quite handsome, when you find a tree straight enough to cut. We have one up on the ridge behind the house we use as a landmark, "meet you at the Z tree". Still highly decay resistant, slightly weaker than a true white. Since they have little timber value they are some of the larger trees on our place and some of the oldest. Over the winter I harvested some reds that were around 36"dbh and 80 or so years old. We knocked the top out of a ~16" chestnut oak, it was the granddaddy there, from the ring pattern it had seen 2 forests come and go.

firefighter ontheside

What I read is that prinus was the name that included swamp chestnut oak and chestnut oak in the same species.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

btulloh

Easiest to split for firewood tree if you're going old school.
HM126

Ianab

I did threaten to throw in some Southern hemisphere oddballs, so here's one.

Small tree, but check the size of the leaves...
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

lxskllr

No idea what that is Ian, but that's a neat looking tree. The shot by the house looks all out of scale due to the leaves. Like a kid mixed play sets to create a house scene  :^D

firefighter ontheside

Google is my friend.  Fruit takes a year to ripen?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doctorb

Quote from: btulloh on July 23, 2019, 05:51:11 PM
Easiest to split for firewood tree if you're going old school.
I am running a drying experiment with chestnut oak.  We originally thought it was red oak but the tree was ID'ed on a separate thread.  I did not find it as easy to split as red oak.  We will complete the drying experiment this December.

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=99759.msg1582986#msg1582986
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ianab

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on July 23, 2019, 08:17:28 PM
Google is my friend.  Fruit takes a year to ripen?
The Google-Fu is strong in this one.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

caveman

I don't know jack about this tree but it somewhat resembles a Fiddle Leaf Fig.  If it is what I think it is, the fruit can attain a weight of 120 lbs.  I thought green oranges were dangerous. (back before citrus greening and rampant development in central Florida the landscape was dominated by citrus.  Green oranges were common projectiles among adolescent combatants).
Caveman

Ianab

Quote from: caveman on July 23, 2019, 11:09:52 PMIf it is what I think it is, the fruit can attain a weight of 120 lbs

Nope, the little green berries are the fruit. That's about as big as they get, and after a year they turn black and the birds eat them. 

Southside

Quote from: caveman on July 23, 2019, 11:09:52 PMGreen oranges were common projectiles among adolescent combatants)

We used to make PVC spud shooters growing up, just a tiny squirt of starting fluid and a snap of a grill lighter and you could practically send a potato into orbit.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!