iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking at used mill tomorrow

Started by John_Haylow, April 12, 2006, 08:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

Hello All.
Quite some time ago I posted here asking about buying a sawmill and milling lumber off our property.

I received some really good replies and it's been some time, but I think I'm getting very close to owning a sawmill.

Tomorrow I'm driving about 3hrs to look at a 1998 Woodmizer LT40HD with a 35 hp Wisconsin engine. The mill has 5000 hrs on it, but has been used under a roof since new, cutting mainly cedar.

I'm hoping it looks as good as it sounds and I can put a deposit on it. Any suggestions on what to look for (or look out for) from you folks here are most welcomed.

Thanks again.
John Haylow
Bracebridge On
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

bcraw98

There are much better members to advise you than me, but I'd cut some lumber with it and check the lumber for squareness. If not square it could be a simple alignment problem or something more serious such as structural damage. Check bearings for excessive play. Note how smooth the head travels horizontally and vertically. Watch the engine for signs of tiredness. The 1987 LT 30G I bought needed all sorts of repairs, but as far as I was concerned it was no big deal because the price reflected it. The mills are easy to work on and parts are readily available. If you see something that concerns you, give wood-mizer a call and ask them about it because I've found them to be eager to help.

As far as I'm concerned there's nothing on the mill that can't be fixed, just don't pay for the fixin' twice, when you buy it and after you bring it home. Good Luck.
Wife and best Friend, 3 girls and a boy, son-in-law, lots of land, horses, cows, and trees. Life is Good

ronwood

John,

Make sure that if you do buy the mill call Woodmizer to let them you are the new owner.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

D._Frederick

If that Wisconsin has 5000 hrs, make sure that the price of the mill reflects the cost of an engine overhaul. I would also like to look at the commutator of the dc electric motors for wear, they may not have a lot of hours left in them. Check the hydraulic cylinders for wear and seal leakage.

Ask what length of lumber the mill has sawn and check the track rails for wear in that region.

John_Haylow

Thank you all once again for you advice. I had a look at the mill today and was very disappointed when I saw its condition.

It appears to have 5000 very hard hrs on it, and not worth the $18000CAD he wanted for it.

I will keep looking.

Thanks again.
John

thecfarm

Keep looking,keep posting questions and keep us posted on how you are doing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jpgreen

Offer him $3500..  :D   ...that's what I did..  ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

highpockets

John, JP will let you have his for 16,000
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

John_Haylow

jpgreen

I offered to give Dick my mill, but he's been to tired to come over and pick it up..  ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

highpockets

JP are you going to be home Tuesday?
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Thank You Sponsors!