iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Its not the end of the world but I think I can see it from here.

Started by CHARLIE, December 03, 2011, 12:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

I was so disappointed when I discovered that Buck Knives started having a lot of their knives made in China.  It was like a great American Icon selling out. Now, when you buy a Buck Knife, you best check to make sure it is American made. Then I found out that Schrade Knives completely sold out to a company that makes all of their knives in China.  I refuse to buy a Chinese made knife because you never know what kind of temper the metal has, plus it just burns my butt when an American company sends their manufacturing to China, or any other country for that matter.  NOW, I just found out that the American Icon Knifemaker, Case, is going to have their knives made in China starting in January. I'm dumbfounded. I love my Case knife and was proud to carry it, but I'll never buy another.

It is happening everywhere though.  For many years I wanted a set of Marples chisels made in Sheffield, England.  Well, Irwin bought out Marples and then last year, Irwin moved the manufacture of Marples chisels to China. I was lucky enough to purchase a set of Marples chisels made in Sheffield, England.  It's sad I tell ya. Just plain sad.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

T Welsh

CHARLIE, Its sad that everything is driven by price and profit, I will not purchase things that are made in China knowingly. I will go out of my way to purchase American made products,and support American workers. but its very hard to find things these days that area made in America. Tim

Nomad

Buck is making some of their knives in China now?  Hmmm...  I was in the market for a new folding knife, too; my old Buck pocket knife has been well abused and is about worn out.  I'll have to rethink the brand I buy.  I liked Buck, but I'll not buy a knife from a company that has any of it's blades made in Asia.
     For a straight blade I prefer to buy the metal and make my own, but I'm not up to that on a folding knife :(
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Shotgun

Yup, China knives are bad quality, and many folks aren't happy with any firm that has their knives made in China for sure.

nomad - you might want to check this thread our about my experience with Buck Knives:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,54332.msg783473.html#msg783473   They'll repair or replace your USA made knife under their "Forever Warranty".  All it takes is your postage to ship it to them, and about 5 weeks time.  I've done it twice in the last 6 months.

It's my understanding that Buck tried China made knives, but came back to USA made in recent times.

Charlie - Yes, Case Knife Co. has decided to have a tactical knife style made in China and a whole bunch of folks in the Case Collectors Club, and others,  are really disappointed.  However (!!), the Bradford, PA Case Knife factory will continue to make their folders, the same as they have since 1898 with very dedicated USA skilled workers, and that won't change.   It seems a pity to me to make the long standing craftsmen and women of Bradford, PA/USA pay the price of folks decreeing to never buy another Case knife just because of Case's tactical knife decision.  Pride is one thing, but be mindful and don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Just my 2 cents.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

paul case

Quote from: Shotgun on December 03, 2011, 08:45:34 AM
Charlie - Yes, Case Knife Co. has decided to have a tactical knife style made in China and a whole bunch of folks in the Case Collectors Club, and others,  are really disappointed.

For the record, I had nothing to do with any of this. No relation.  ;D PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Al_Smith

It's sad to say the amount of well established brand names that have chosen to manufacture their goods aboard in some Pacific rim country .The list is endless .

You couple that with the amount of stuff shipped to Mexico and repackaged so it appears the origin is from Mexico to satisfy NAFTA and it becomes staggering .

Then they cry big alligator tears because they've lost all the tax base . Well gee wizz how did that happen ,duh .

Well keep on buying that stuff then don't whine so much when you're working for 8 bucks an hour flipping hamburgers or picking chit with the chickens . :(

Den Socling

I carried a 4" Buck lock back for 10 or 15 years. They are great knives but I picked up a Swiss army knife one time and liked having a little tool box with me all of the time. Every time I lay down the Swiss and forget it someplace, I freak out and buy another. I guess they are made in Switzerland but the sheaths now say "made in China". Sooner or later China has to raise wages, establish environmental regulations, safety rules and regulations, etc. We need the playing field leveled.

RynSmith

All is not lost, Charlie!!   :)

http://www.hcn.org/blogs/heard/bringing-it-home-keeping-it-wild

What it says:
IDAHO
You might call it a minor movement, but "reshoring" -- a new word that means bringing offshore jobs back home -- is buoying some residents of rural Idaho. About 12 years ago, Buck Knives sent up to half its production to China, thinking it would save money. Unfortunately, many customers were steamed by that decision. "Hunters are rednecks, and they don't like anything with that C word on it," admits company chairman Chuck Buck. So for the last few years, Buck has begun reshoring knife production and adding jobs to the town of Post Falls, and sales have picked up. "I want to get out of China as quickly as I can," says Buck, whose grandfather founded the firm in 1902. Idaho Statesman reporter Bill Roberts also talked to Ed Endebrock, who just opened Ende Machinery and Foundry in the declining town of Craigmont, Idaho, population 500. "We need to bring back our manufacturing base to this country," Endebrock says. "We can't live on flipping hamburgers all our lives." Businesses decide to leave Asia for lots of reasons, including increased automation here, growing freight costs, the need to be closer to resources and customers for quick decisions, and retaining customer goodwill. But there was another -- and slightly more unpleasant -- reason why Endebrock chose to scour the country for parts and build a foundry in Idaho from scratch. He said he was "frosted when he sent plans for a proprietary piece of equipment from his Lewiston plant to his Chinese manufacturer to reproduce, and the newly produced part ended up in the hands of his competitor before he received it."

Shotgun

Ryn,  Thanks for posting with that information about Buck bringing their manufacturing back to the U.S.  I was pretty certain that that was the case, but I haven't had a moment to search it out.  Hopefully Case and Schrade will come to the same conclusion at some point. Case has a long history of being manufactured in the U.S., and Buck, although not as old a firm as Case by any means, found out the hard way and did the right thing.  We can only hope.

I have carried a Case knife for most of my 73 years.

Norm
Life Member, Case Collectors Club  (but very disappointed by Case's recent decision)
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

SwampDonkey

Charlie, there are always Crown Tools or Henry Taylor, both from Sheffield, England and Hirsch of Germany. U.J. Ramelson (3rd generation tool maker in the US) Veritas as well for chisels and planes and various jigs. Just pick up a Lee Valley catalog and you can find all kinds of fine tools. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DouginUtah

Here is my China story...

A friend needed a USB cable to hook up a new hard drive. He went to the small-town computer store to buy one. It cost him $4.95.

In the picture are three such cables, only these are better than the one he bought--they have clips and one end is 90°. They were shipped from China and delivered to my mailbox by USPS.

Guess what I paid for them.

Shipping was free and the three of them cost me $0.89 from my PayPal account.

Edit: I'm surprised no one called me out on my mistake. Obviously, these are not USB cables I'm talking about. They are SATA cables.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

SwampDonkey

I have a small package of items (handles for a lathe) weighing about 4 lb package and was told a nation wide back order so might never see it in my lifetime. :D It's coming from Utah, $33 for the shipping. Now how can China ship and make money at $0.89. I guess it just shows how much we get gouged in our domestic market, plus how on the ball China is.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nomad

Shotgun, thanks for the info.  I'll send that knife off just as soon as I decide what I'm gonna carry while it's gone.  (No way I can go without a pocket knife for 5 weeks...) ::)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Slabs

Charlie, yor "end of the world" perception may be more accurate than you imagined.

As I browze through stores I almost can't find anything not made in China.  Our politician hopefuls keep screaming about "creating" new jobs. Well, there just aren't any more "new" jobs to create.  We can only service each other just so long.  The real issue should be"GET OUT JOBS BACK" but I haven't heard one word about this from any of the hopefuls or the entrenched.

Laws were made to allow our jobs to be exported so that we can inport the junk that is being foisted off on us, or more accurately forced upon us.  If anything, lawmakers should be held accountable for this because of their irresponsibility.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!