iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

taxes

Started by duke401, December 10, 2004, 06:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duke401

i got a letter today saying i owe 379.00 property tax on the saw mill enybody else got this problem?
duke

isawlogs

I don't....but I don't like taxes not one bit ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tobacco Plug

Oh, yes.  I had hardly gotten my mill home and I received a letter from the county tax assessor saying that I must list it as business property.  Been paying property tax on it ever since. :(
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

duke401

it must be a state by state deal, i talked to raymond at d+l an he hasnt had a problem down south yet.
duke

Tom

Ours was an "either/or" type thing.  You pay personal property tax unless it falls under another tax.  So.........   most of us bought vehicle tags for the mill.   They won't tax a tax.    Least not directly :D

Lenny_M

No tax here in N.H , but mills have to be regestered.Portable or not.The tag reads "Primary wood processing mill" 20 bucks a year. Also have to report board feet cut and what species.
 If portable its regestered as construction equipment for over the road.
                  Lenny

Ron Wenrich

I don't think we have any taxes like that in PA.  If you run it over the road, then you might have a trailer tag permit.

The local government can only tax your property, not your belongings.  They can also tax your income, but only 1% with no deductions.  The big cities can add 1% to the sales tax.  They do have a nice assortment of nuisance taxes like fire hydrant tax, street light tax, etc.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodmills1

Lenny it may be too late for your registration, but there is a category under the trailer listings here in NH called sawrig.  My LT 40 is registered as a trailer/sawrig and I can reregister it at my town hall.  My log loading trailer how ever is listed under construction equipment and I have to go to a state DMV site for rereg.

As for taxing sawmills, in states with personal or business property taxes you will have to pay.  As Lenny said we have a timber tax here in NH.  First an intent to cut wood is filed with local assessor, it then gets approved by the selectmen and the state.  At the conclusion of the cut, amounts of bd ft of different species of logs, as well as cords of fire or pulp wood, are reported back to the assessor.  The cutter or land owner then receives a bill for the tax amount which is 10% of the value of the wood.  The value is set by the state on a yearly basis and is usually less than 50% of the real world market value,  however on medium to large cuts it amounts to $$$$$.  There is an exclusion of up to 10 cords and a certain number of bd ft of lumber for personal use.  ( I can't remember the bfd ft #)

This is one of the ways NH avoids income and sales taxes.  We are also one of the few states that has aggressive estate taxes.  For all non direct up or down relatives all money inherited from estates is taxed at 18% from dollar one.  So if uncle Joe leaves me 10 grand I pay 1800 bucks to the state.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Frank_Pender

Only in America, folks.   To facts: death and taxes.  One day they will be taxing us for our physical size and the amount of air we breath.   I would suggest strongly that you do not speak of whether you have or do pay any sort of tax.  Out of sight, out of mind. :-X   I heard one time, that there were some 95 different types of tax that could be traced on a loaf of bread.  If you were to removed all of those taxes you may well be paying around $.15 a loaf. 8)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!