iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie with Sycamore

Started by ejb17, November 11, 2018, 12:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejb17

So I have been sawing up some poplar that I have had laying around just to get some time on the saw.
Now it is time to get after 2 sycamore logs that have been here for a year or so.
They are about 20 feet long and diameters of 20" and 18". How should I attack these and what is sycamore used for?
They are nice and straight.
USA - Believe in it, or Be Leaving it!
2005 LT40G28

caveman

I have only sawn it once but we quarter sawed it and got really nice figure and it has dried flat.  My uncle has the wood and plans to build benches out of the 2" slabs and is undecided as to what to use the 4/4 boards for.
Caveman

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

YellowHammer

Sycamore is either pretty much all or nothing, at least the stuff Ive sawed.  Flatsawn will bow and twist significantly and look pretty bland while quartersawn will be fairly stable and look very nice, with a lacy, fish scale pattern.  Look up some of the old Sycamore Project threads on the Forum to see what it will look like. 

So I would definately quartersawn it.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ejb17

That piece looks awesome. Looks like I need to practice quarter sawing on a piece of scrap wood first before I tackle the sycamore
USA - Believe in it, or Be Leaving it!
2005 LT40G28

Thank You Sponsors!