iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

De-barker

Started by DonT, April 29, 2002, 02:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

My wife decided she would like a benck made from an oak log I have in the bush.Jobs like this seem to earn mega brownie points towards my yearly moose hunt in Northern Ontario so I agreed quickly.After doing a little research I came across a de-barker from nova-jack that mounts on the tip of a chainsaw bar.Does anyone have any experiance with this type of tool.      Thanks DonT

Jeff

This is the only debarker I am aquainted with.

Probably more money then what a bench would warrant. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DonT

Thanks Jeff,a little bigger than the one I was looking at from Nova-jack.The one i saw almost looks like a small planer.Your machine might work very well on my mother in-law however. DonT

Jeff

Nah, most Mother in lawsare alredy thin skinned.  I recommend straight to the chipper.

Kevin

Don,
I`ve seen the video.
It would work well on small projects.

The Log Wizard was the tool I saw demonstrated.
http://www.logwizard.com/

http://www.logwizard.com/distributorsfound.php3

woodmills1

I have a log wizard, the previous owner of my mill bought it.  I mounted it onto an old saw bar and have used it, it does work.  My problem is I put it on my old stihl 045, way too heavy to add that weight on the bar tip, but it does work just fine.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

If you wait a few weeks, the bark may just fall loose.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

splinters

there's always the armstrong method. Shaves and slicks like a cabin log. Whatever you decide, be sure to work on it where she can see how much work and effort you put into the project.  Need pictures too.

DonT

Thanks for the advice guys,the log wizzard looks like what I am looking for.I checked out there dealers and there is no dealer within 75 km.Any ideas about ordering one.I have convinced my wife that this would be a must have tool to complete her bench,therefore it would be a sanctioned toy purchase.  DonT

Bibbyman

I've seen them in some catalogs and in trade magazines.  I know Wood-Mizer sells them because I bought one new back in 94 when I got our first mill.  Never used it - still in box,  if I can find it.  Let's make a deal?
Sawing since '94

Tom

Kevin

Tom,
You're seven posts behind the rest of us, would you like us to wait while you catch up?   :D

Tom

Nah, y'all go on, I'll be along later. :-[

Kevin

If it's any consolation ... you're still ahead of Jeff.   ;D

Jeff

woodmills1

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahhaahahhahaahhahahaahahhaha
hahahahahahahahahahaha enough :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DonT

Hey Bibbyman,I like the idea of a trade how about my mother-in law for your log wizzard.( I am willing to pay the shipping on my mother in-law if I can find an envelope big enough) Let me know.   DonT

Jeff

Maybe I should get the auction software going. :) I was looking at that contraption, and think it would be useful in Stacy and my rustic furniture venture.

Bibbyman

Sorry DonT,  can't trade for your mother-in-law.  I was lucky enough to have the greatest mother-in-law a man could ever expect to have.  

Here is a picture taken on Christmas day a few years back.  That's Mary on the upper left,  younger sisters Wendy and Liz below her. Niece Jennifer in lower center and older sister Pam and mother of Jennifer on right. (Sorry, they are all married.)   Mary's mom Dot is seated in the background.  She passed away within a week of when this picture was taken.  
Sawing since '94

DonT

Bibbyman Sorry to hear of your loss ,you can not blame a guy for trying though.DonT

John_Boisselier

How much do you suppose it's worth to him for us to not e-mail this thread to his wife and mom-in-law?  You can get the log-wizard from Baileys.  They really do work for most log projects.  Do up those notches, rip off the bark, and Trim up those knots real well too.  We used ours on a large log home from scratch, and as a pinch hitter for cleaning up dirty spots on logs in a small mill for a while driven by an 044 stihl.
The Woodsman

Ron Scott

De-Barker. The high pressure water spray method on red pine logs.

~Ron

C_Miller

I have used the log wizard and it works good once you get   the knack of it.

oddest debarker I've seen is an old spade with the point worn back so it was a curve that followed the shape of the log.asked the guy about it said it worked better than a peeling spud. I had to believe him since he was being paid by the linear foot and making good money.

C
CJM

Frank_Pender

That is about the way my log yard looks, at times.  How about anyone with a homemade debarker for the entire log.   I saw something one time with some using old tires to spin the log around while they were "warshing" off the crud.   I use a Karcher 3,000 psi+ to wash all of my logs, one at a time.  Jeff, I liked your picture but it is a bit larger than what I may be able to power.
Frank Pender

Russ

Log Wizzard works ok but it gets alittle heavy. Sometimes the shovel is easier. I was wondering how it would work on an electric saw. Maybe a 3 1/2 hp remington.I put mine on a G B Titanium Bar, ruined a few drill bits installing it.

Thank You Sponsors!