iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ticks and more ticks

Started by thecfarm, May 28, 2017, 07:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

if I did that it would take thousands of them to control the ticks here

plantman

Actually last winter might have been a good winter to kill bugs because we had periods when it got really warm and then suddenly got real cold. I think that might have worked to kill them.
Aside from that, I think the government might be looking for a natural pathogen like a fungus or something that would sterilize the bugs and prevent them from reproducing. Got to ask a entomologist. I don't much like bugs. I just step on them !

petefrom bearswamp

My son and I hunted, well sort of, as the weather was hot and conditions dry and noisy, in the Adirondacks last weekend.
Saturday I had 4 Deer Ticks on my clothes and gun and mark had one
Sunday I didnt have any but Mark had 4, one imbedded.
took it out with my Swiss army tweezers.
I had one embedded 2 yrs ago while in the same area.
The NY legislature is supposedly contemplating action on tick control measures.
Back in the 90s there was a vaccine which I got but the 2 companies that made it stopped producing it as it wasnt cost effective to produce.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Kbeitz

I pulled a deer tic off me this week... I keep watchen for the circle... None so far.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

coxy

you don't need  a circle or bulls eye  trust me       go to the doc

Chuck White

True or not, but I've been told by my Doc that you won't get Lyme Disease unless a tick has been embedded for 48 hours!

I'm very hesitant to believe that!

A few weeks ago, I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease and I know the tick wasn't embedded 48 hours!

Infact, I never new he was there until he was gone and there was a bullseye, and I witnessed 103° fever and other flu-like symptoms for 2 days before I got in to see the Doc!  The tick left it's mark on my right lower leg and I know I would have noticed it during my nightly shower! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

plantman

From anecdotal  reports I think you should be fine with a course of antibiotics . There is one thing that might help and can't hurt. I customer of mine had a bad case of lyme and after antibiotics went to a holistic physician who gave her IV glutathione injections that helped tremendously. So perhaps you do the antibiotic first and then the glutathione IV afterwards. Supposedly eating bone soup is good for the immune system as well. And taking probiotics with the antibiotics.

Quote from: Chuck White on October 29, 2017, 08:59:25 AM
True or not, but I've been told by my Doc that you won't get Lyme Disease unless a tick has been embedded for 48 hours!

I'm very hesitant to believe that!

A few weeks ago, I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease and I know the tick wasn't embedded 48 hours!

Infact, I never new he was there until he was gone and there was a bullseye, and I witnessed 103° fever and other flu-like symptoms for 2 days before I got in to see the Doc!  The tick left it's mark on my right lower leg and I know I would have noticed it during my nightly shower!

coxy

my one doc told me to get some kind of a blot test

dirtmotor

Here we go again ! Been finding ticks on animals all winter , but found first one on me yesterday . Every year I hope they all die off in the winter , so much for hoping :(

Crusarius

already removed 1 from the cat. he sure does like to bring new friends home.

Don P

Lyme caught up with me last week, 2 more weeks on doxy. Finally started feeling human again yesterday and got a little bit done. The rash is beginning to fade so I'm winning. I hate ticks. This one was tiny and right in the sock line. Luckily it's early season and not bright out, last time on doxy was midsummer and even my knuckles blistered.

Old Greenhorn

It wasn't very long ago that having lyme with your corona was a good thing. (sorry...too soon?)
 My last bout with Lyme was 2 years ago, hoping to dodge the bullet for a little while longer.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

hacknchop

I must be too far north, I have never had a tick on me that I know of anyway but I'm definitely going to try to be more observant , I will at least start looking for them on myself and my pets.
Don P I am glad you are feeling somewhat better and hoping you have a swift and complete recovery. 
Often wrong never indoubt

Chuck White

We're hoping that with so little snow in this area all Winter the tick population might have frozen and died off!

Like I said, "We're hoping"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

zinc oxide

Thank You Sponsors!