iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sometimes I could just snap!

Started by cutter88, July 06, 2014, 02:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter88

Got a phone call yesterday from one of my skidder guys ( new guy) saying he had my 640d stuck in the mud and has the main line wrapped about 5 times around the front housing, I told him just walk out go home I will take care of it in the morning... I get there this morning, he had Tryed to put a main trail in a low spot when I clearly told him and showed him the ribbon I put in on high ground for him to fallow! Took me and anouther employee 2 hours and a lot of misquetoes and mud and 3 broken chockers to get it out!!! Needless to say I won't be needing his " services" anymore :P
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

clww

Good help is hard to find. Gotta love it! :-\
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

BargeMonkey

Gotta love it.  We have reduced out workforce due to stupid stunts, blown engines, flopped dump trucks... list goes on. The problem with employees is they dont care,  the money you have tied up, the time it takes to find wood, and add on insurance and comp and you wanna scream. I feel your pain, at least it wasnt a super expensive mistake, and you got it out.  8)

Corley5

I've had good and bad but more bad than good it seems.  The young guy working with me now is the best one I've ever had.  He's going to college this fall  8)  I've decided that I'm going to go it alone when he leaves.  Run the harvester in the AM and the forwarder in the PM.  It'll be easier than trying to find somebody good :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lumberjack48

I tried a crew, 2 skidders, feller bunchier, 2 trucks, tandem Mack, loader truck, used  for sorting and short hauling, firewood, saw bolts and logs. Then a tractor trailer for long hauling. I had 5 to 6 hired guys at times, it takes a lot of stumpage to stay busy, pulling 30 to 70 cords a day. You basically need one guy looking for stumpage, biding on Fed and state sales and places to sell the wood.

Then keeping equipment running , besides making sure everybody showed up to keep job running smoothly, when one guy don't show up it puts a bolt in things. I got so sick of looking at the ground we cleared to keep it running. I got sick of babysitting men and working on equipment all night to make sure we were up and running in the morning..

I handled a lot of money, but it just slipped right though my hands, fuel, wages, stumpage, payments and ect, and you don't get much sleep.

I got out of this, sized down to 2 skidders. On paper i could make more take home money working with the wife or alone. Not only that you have a little piece of mind. In the summer we liked going to work at 5 am, coming home at 2 pm. Then hooking up to the boat and go to the lake the rest of the day, this is living. I didn't have to go on vacation, i was on vacation everyday and loving it, this was my style of logging.

I never touched all the problems i had when running hired men,
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!