iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying wide boards

Started by logbyr, September 02, 2018, 08:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logbyr

I am been flitch sawing some bigger logs which yield some wide boards.   The widest boards nearer heart have both rift/qtr and flat sawn grain.  I edge pith out of  boards  in center which gives me a few pure rft/qtr boards.  
  I have some of this on sticks and after 1 - 2 years it has air dried flat.  Will these give me warp issues as i get them into the kiln?  Will they all dry to same % moisture in the kiln?  
Logs r woods grown northern appalachain region.  Generally slow growth/ thin sap with good structure/shape.  Species include cherry, soft maple,butternut, walnut.  
Kiln is nyle  L 200.  
Thx in advance

DR Buck

Not sure of how wide your boards are or the thickness, but when I have wide boards (usually 5/4) for going in the Nyle I try and stack the widest stuff on the bottom.   I've had very good success with them staying flat by doing this.  I almost always put my 8/4 and thicker stuff on top of the stacks.    
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Chances are that the flinches you have are around 13% MC.  Wood cells shrink from 30% MC going to 0% MC.  Drying the glitches from 13% to 7% MC is a difference of 6% MC.  Drying from 30% to 13% MC is a difference of 17% MC.  Shrinkage is linear with MC loss.  So, you have had about 3/4 of the shrinkage already happen.  You have about 1/4 to go.  If you are flat and straight now, you should not see much additional warp...just normal shrinkage.  A key is to make sure you do not add any moisture to the surface when you start the kiln.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!