iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

safety helmet

Started by DaveP, July 09, 2018, 07:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Quote from: BradMarks on July 11, 2018, 05:39:51 PM
Yes. I was alluding to OSHA with regards to dents - it is a violation if caught.  But not for homeowner/personal use.
One of the things a hardhat gets its strength from is the arch shape. Once you have a dent in an aluminum hardhat, you no longer have an arch, and the resistance to further deformation from an impact is greatly reduced. OSHA frowns on dents for good reason. This is an instance where a homeowner would be well advised to follow OSHA's guidance.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Quote from: celliott on July 10, 2018, 09:19:06 PM
Quote from: John Mc on July 10, 2018, 07:39:37 PMI ordered a Husqvarna Technical Helmet a couple years ago - had to order from England, since no one in the US had them (it was odd - they had been here for less than a year, then disappeared for a couple of years).

Love the helmet, the most comfortable one I've ever owned. However, when I first put it on, one of the ear muffs detached from the helmet. I put it back on, but it popped off every time I moved the muff off my ear. Brought it to a local dealer, who was able to get me a pair of replacement muffs under warranty. Replaced the offending muff and kept the other as a spare. Wore it half a dozen times, and the other muff started falling off. Replaced that one with the spare and have not had another problem (knock on wood) - but it has not seen a lot of use.

I am hoping the problem has been dealt with with with the replacement muffs. I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem.

It is now available from US vendors - though I've not found any of our Forestry Forum sponsors who carry it.
John, I wrote that post this morning and hadn't had any issues with my helmet. Used it today at work and the dang earmuff kept falling off. Fought it most of the day and finally got it fixed. It's hard to describe but the metal tab that allows the muff to snap out and stay tight comes out of place near the top of the circle bit. It took quite a bit of force to get it back into place. Definitely not obvious. Took me awhile looking at it.
Well, now that I have completely retired my old helmet and started using my Technical Forest Helmet regularly, the ear muff problem has resurfaced.
Can you describe what was out of place on your ear muff? I can't see anything that looks out on mine. I don't want to pull apart the other muff to compare and risk messing that one up.

On the bright side, I wrote Husqvarna about my problem. Described the original problem which was fixed under warranty. Told them the helmet has been used only 5 or 6 times since then, since I've been getting the last bit of use out of my old helmet. They asked for pictures, which I sent. You could see the helmet was in like-new condition. I was hoping for a replacement ear muff, but they are sending me a whole new helmet. Nice to see a company that stands behind their products - I purchased it over 1.5 years ago.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

OH logger

I bought the husky technical helmet and have only wore it one day but I like it real well so far. comfortable and the ear muffs do a better job then the peltors I said I would never go away from (they don't make "my" style any more).  it must be doin its job im still alive and no dumber than I was yesterday!! :) my only complaint is that when you snap the muff down on your ear it slams down. you kinda got hold it and lower it slow if you like your ear drums that is. ;D
john

Offthebeatenpath

I've used a bunch of different helmets over the years and rotate through a few based on what I'm doing. 

For trail work, I use a full brim skull bucket. I don't use it for saw work due to the lack of ear muffs.

When running equipment other than a skidder, I use an aluminum front brim with ear muffs.

When running saw/skidder, I use the Husky technical helmet. I like it well enough that I buy them for each of my long term employees. Ear muffs have been fine so far. For shorter term employees, I give them the Rockman helmets. They are fine, but lack the quality and comfort of the Husky technical hats. They are cheaper though.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

streem26

Depends how much time you spend in it?  
However if you're going to spend all day in it, everyday drop the cash and get a Protos Integral from Pfanne and best ear muffs. Its really lightweight, has a good airflow and fits really comfy.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: DaveP on July 15, 2018, 05:58:09 PM

Has anyone tried the Rockman Helmet?

Davep
The helmet itself is ok, the visors dont last 5mins, the flip tabs are flimsy and break immediately. 

Thank You Sponsors!