iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Urban White Oak- What is it worth?

Started by Jjoness4, March 20, 2017, 10:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jjoness4

Have an option to buy this straight, long (60 foot, 30 inch big end, 15 inch little end) white oak that was showing signs of dying late last.  It was cut 3 weeks ago.  The butt log looks almost perfect.  What is it worth?  It looks like it has sweep on the big end but that is an optical illusion.  Can't mess up the man's yard so removal will be tricky and delicate.  Have a log arch/winch/deck over trailer that works well but still have to drag the log.  Also while I'm asking questions, how would you buck it?
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

Kbeitz

Lift one end and slide a small trailer under it. Use your arch for the other end.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DR_Buck

I never pay for urban logs.  Last large oaks I got paid to come pick them up.   Just picked up 1000 bf of urban ash for free.   Waiting on call to go get 4000bf + Large diameter poplar for free.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WV Sawmiller

JJ4,

I also don't buy logs. If I got hold of it since it is W/O around here I'd seriously consider cutting it into lengths appropriate to making trailer decking or bridge timbers. Nothing less than 12' and preferably 14-16. For trailer decking I think 2" and bridge timbers more like 3". BTW - those will be heavy. I'd advertise I had the logs and not cut them until I had a customer if I could. It should store in the weather very well with reasonable care such as sealing the ends. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

carykong

I agree with previous advice. All the circumstanse dictate that this log should be free. You are providing the service of disposal for free means log is free.

rasman57

Here your competition would be the firewood guys or a sawyer that wanted it and the price would be at least wholesale hardwood firewood stock......and somebody would pay for it.   Not saying you should but sometimes the supply and demand create circumstances like you have.

plantman

In my area even the tree services have to pay a log truck to pick up logs. Part of your expense is simply the labor and machinery to pick up the wood. It would only be free if they delivered it to your mill.
Secondarily, many mills don't even want logs that come from residential areas because they ruin too many blades and cost too much time.
If you take that log you are taking a big risk.

thecfarm

Quote from: Jjoness4 on March 20, 2017, 10:18:30 PM
  Can't mess up the man's yard so removal will be tricky and delicate.

This sentence makes me nervous. Not saying nothing bad against him. But is he one of them that wants the log removed with a helicopter?  :D  Some don't want ANY damage done to thier lawn.  ::) Even a trailer with the log on might sink in some. Enough to feel it on a riding lawn mower. Than someone might of gave him the,"You know how much that is worth"?,talk. How much extra time will it take? Than he wants you to pay him?  :o
And I would suspect that someone had to take some time to climb that tree and limb it? And than fall it? I betcha they gave him a price to haul it off and he's looking for someone to pay him to haul it off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

The reason that log is laying there is the guy didn't want to pay the tree service to remove it. It should be free and he should understand there will be minor damage to the lawn, you can't walk on water. Feel out the guy some are a pain in the butt and it may not be worth the hassle. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

TKehl

Agreed.  I was shocked recently when I found how much tree services charge for removal.  Was going to get a nice large Ash to slab in my father-in-laws yard.  Tree service screwed up and cut it into firewood pieces  :'(, then wanted to charge $550-600 to haul off.  I said no way and knew a guy who sells firewood on the side and even he wanted $250 to haul it off. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

plantman

Near me the tree services sell firewood for about $275 per cord but you have to remember that they had to split the wood, age the wood, load the wood back on a truck , and deliver the wood. The only way that pays is to also charge to remove the wood. No matter what business you are in, you need to break down all your costs otherwise you'll end up broke in the end.

Weekend_Sawyer

If it isn't free I would pass, who knows what kind of trash is in that butt log.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

sealark37

At any rate, you are going to spend the better part of a day removing the log, in addition to the material and labor to repair the owner's lawn.  Unless you have a market or use for the WO, let him pay someone to pi$$ him off.  Regards, Clark

GAB

I tell people that I do not pay for yard trees.
If I do the probability of paying for them twice is too high for me.
Once in cash, and once in blades.
Note: 1/2" lag bolts in logs ruin blades real fast.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Brad_bb

With all the work involved to remove it, you cannot pay for it.   If he's too fussy about the lawn, walk away.  There will be some damage no matter what.  As said above, logs can't walk on water and you can't hire a helicopter.

Would I take it?  Sure.  It looks like a good log.  I'd keep it as long as possible for my use.  I'd hire my buddy with his trailer and track loader to haul it as long as possible so I could cut a beam out of it.  That is my use, a beam for timber framing.  I have a hard time getting long logs.  Minimum length I'd want is 12' even for boards, but I'd prefer longer.

Let us know what happens.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Farm29

I feel the same way u are doing him a favor removing it for free if not a cost.  On the subject of how much white oak is worth I've been running into a lot of dead oaks red white black some of them are junk hollow but a lot just have some rot around the out side but a solid heart in the middle what would you all think on price for them I would be cutting down and hauling off and they are not urban trees i no grade plays a big role in price but ballpark numbers would be nice if I didn't take them they would end up as rot or firewood some day some of the places the logger left them behind but after cutting them down there good and solid after u strip the outside off any opinions ?
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Jjoness4

Well the majority of you say get it free or walk away.  Some more information for you to consider.  (Can you detect that I want this log ?? ;D ).  The homeowner will be OK on any moderate damage to his yard.  He has set a firm price of $200 and has a firewood guy offering him that but he would like to see it sawed into lumber rather than firewood.  A logger friend who has no dog in the race says the butt log is veneer or prime which a local mill about 20 miles away is paying $1000/mbd for veneer and $750 for prime grade.  I have a market for some 5/4 white oak and the guy makes cutting boards and can't get white oak. I sold him all I had for $3.00 per bd/ft about a month ago and he was tickled.  It was dry however.  There is about 900 bdft Doyle in the log.  Bottom line I think I will buy it for $200 and bet on the come.  Please forgive me for not taking your advice.  I promise to let you know if I screwed up.  My granddad used to be in the watermelon business.  He bought watermelons for $1.00 each and sold them for $3.00 each and bragged that he had a 2% margin.  I hope I can do at least as good as he did. ;D ;D ;D ;D.
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

TKehl

1.  I can't imagine someone paying that much for it as firewood in log form. 
2.  Sounds like you have a market and a plan.  GO GET IT MAN!!!    ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Weekend_Sawyer

On the other hand if you really want it, go for it.
Do keep us posted as we will all learn something either way.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WV Sawmiller

JJ4,

You might consider milling the log on site to do less damage than dragging it out if the circumstances permit and you do mobile sawing. You could capture most of the sawdust with a Jim Rogers bucket or a tarp or maybe you can scatter it with a leaf blower enough to prevent damage. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I would never mill it on site.  I did that once, and when the property owner saw the lumber $$$ went off in his head and he started feeling like he had been taken advantage of.  I wasn't involved with the log deal but only sawing.  Anyway, my advice is to move the logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

In my market, all White Oak is automatically sawed to bed boards and stored.....they sell quick.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

plantman

Quote from: Jjoness4 on March 21, 2017, 10:49:21 AM
Well the majority of you say get it free or walk away.  Some more information for you to consider.  (Can you detect that I want this log ?? ;D ).  The homeowner will be OK on any moderate damage to his yard.  He has set a firm price of $200 and has a firewood guy offering him that but he would like to see it sawed into lumber rather than firewood.  A logger friend who has no dog in the race says the butt log is veneer or prime which a local mill about 20 miles away is paying $1000/mbd for veneer and $750 for prime grade.  I have a market for some 5/4 white oak and the guy makes cutting boards and can't get white oak. I sold him all I had for $3.00 per bd/ft about a month ago and he was tickled.  It was dry however.  There is about 900 bdft Doyle in the log.  Bottom line I think I will buy it for $200 and bet on the come.  Please forgive me for not taking your advice.  I promise to let you know if I screwed up.  My granddad used to be in the watermelon business.  He bought watermelons for $1.00 each and sold them for $3.00 each and bragged that he had a 2% margin.  I hope I can do at least as good as he did. ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Well obviously wood is more valuable in some areas than others. Good luck. Maybe I should be in the business of selling wood as a commodity and shipping it around the world rather than trying to mill it myself ?  :laugh:

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

That is a possibility but the customer would also see the sophistication and cost of the mill and process to make such lumber and the seller may think he made a good deal and if he does not see the processing he may think it is much faster and easier than it is and still think he was ripped off. We've discussed this in many other threads but I have major heartburn with someone taking a risk and sometimes making a profit (I remember a cedar baking board thread a while back...). No matter what the seller is not seeing the handling, storage and marketing involved so he will always have a somewhat jaundiced view

Anyway, my suggestion was just to consider on-site milling if it would cause less damage to the landscaping and prevent/reduce seller heartburn. JMHO.

Dave,

Are you talking about boards for truck beds or furniture?
Howard Green

brianJ

Anyone else think $3 a board foot is a little low?  If I understood correctly WO seems rare in this vicinity.

Thank You Sponsors!