iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peru

Started by opticsguy, May 24, 2015, 03:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

Traveling to Peru in October.  Curious about anyone's personal experiences and recommendations.  No, I will not be taking my mill with me. :D

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

beenthere

We used to have a member in Peru. "Jim King" was the name.  Had some very good insight on the country. There are great tourist spots and some maybe not so great.

May Jim rest in peace..
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=4293
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John.Howard

I've spent a couple of years in Peru and been all over. How long are you going for and what are you looking to do? How's your Spanish?

WV Sawmiller

We went over several years ago on a private tour up the Amazon from Iquitos in March/April. Water was rising. We took ferry as far overnight (rent hammock space on the ferry with hundreds of others) as it would go then had a smaller wooden boat with a puka-puka (long tailed motor) and we camped in the villages along the way. If you do go to Iquitos be sure to hit the "Yellow Rose of Texas". Good food and good company/atmosphere. Are you looking for a guide or what kind of trip are you looking for?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

wolf nemeth

I was there 35 years ago, when you could hike the Inca trail  to Machu Pichu solo.  Now all that's changed, but the Machu Pichu is an even bigger draw, and is the single best reason to visit Peru. You will never see anything comparable, not anywhere in the world. Go There!
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

ppine

Great place with great people. I like Bolivia even more.

Practice your Spanish and be wary of the elevation.  Coca mate helps a lot. After 3 weeks, climbing hills at 12,000 feet is pretty easy. The first 3 days it seems impossible.
Forester

Wildman Ben

I just got back from Peru and south america! beautiful place, beautiful people, Peru has some nice food also, best in south america I would say. around the cusco area of peru, the south east, there is lot's to see, lots of ruins, the beautiful Andes mountain range. If you're into hiking and camping out there is an amazing place called the rainbow mountains, which is a few days from cusco. also Arequipa is worth checking out for the canyons, many people go to colca canyon but there is also Cotahuasi Canyon which is the deepest in the world, two times as deep as the grand canyon in the USA.

martincharles

Peru is amazing - great food and people. Machu Picchu, Arequipa and Nazca Lines are my top 3.

Thank You Sponsors!