iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade bark peeling spud

Started by sbishop, March 11, 2007, 08:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Hi all,

Anyone have any plans or ideas on making a few homemade bark spuds?

Any pictures?

I saw some where that you can use a 1/4" 4"X8" steel plate and round tubing to fit a shovel handle! what ya think?

THANKS

Sbishop

thecfarm

I think a leaf spring with some cutting and grinding would work pretty well.Maybe about 4 inches long,with a nice curve.I know the one we use to use was a factory one with about a 4 inch curved blade.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawmilllawyer

HAy, Cfarm do you have any pic's of the bark peeler. I have some old leaf springs laying around and probably could fab one. Thanks, Andy
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

thecfarm

I'm sorry,no I don't.It's probaly at my brother's house.Unless he sold it or something.I probaly should of taken it years ago.He has no use for it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

johnjbc

Here are the ones I made. Turned the handle on the wood lathe and mounted the end of a car spring in it

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Jesse Frank

Hello,

I made one out of a square bladed spade shovel that seems to work well. I sharpened the inside curve, and it really peels the bark right off!

Jesse
There are absolutely no absolutes in life, and that's a fact.

sawmilllawyer

8) 8) 8), JohnJbc: cool!!! that gives some ideas. What kind of wood is the handle? Thanks, Andy
   Keep em coming, want to see what's out there.

johnjbc

Sawmilllawyer
Its Hickory. Turned the handle on the lathe, then saw an opening for the blade. I used the cutting torch to burn holes in the spring and drilled matching holes in the handle. A couple carriage bolts, a little sharpening and you are good to go. 
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

olyman

make a bark spud out of a semi truck spring---wider--and heavier--and could get a broken one for free!!!  also--you can drill leaf spring with a ordinary bit---but--you have to turn it almost so slow you cant see it--you burn a high speed drill because its turning too fast---weld teacher showed us this---seroius--or go get a cement bit that looks like a regular drill bit---carbide tipped--and use water or oil--and drill slow--it will drill thru the spring---

sawmilllawyer

;D, Olyman when I was in the oil field a welder on a rig fabrication crew taught me how to use a drill like you describe. That must have been 30 years ago, I still remeber that bit of knowledge and still use it.

Thank You Sponsors!