iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spruce

Started by brendonv, May 05, 2009, 05:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

A little introduction here.

My name is Brendon, I am an arborist/ tree care business owner from CT.  I have recently fell in love with timber framing, and still have alot to read/ learn. 

I have loads of Spruce my company has to remove from a property, and I'm thinking it might be a good place to start and try to make a small (8x8) timber framed shed from the spoils.

Is Spruce usable?  I've read it twists when it dries, any other problems?  It's going to be my first project, so I'm sure I'll make mistakes and what not.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Jim_Rogers

Brendon:
Welcome to the forum, keep asking questions.....

Cut the frame green, and assemble as fast as you can to prevent the timbers from twisting....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

brendonv

Thanks alot.

Tools, I need tools.  I'm thinking start with the minimum.  I do have a gas drill already.  Bits, chisels, planes, open to all suggestions on what to buy, and where to buy.

Noticed you had some for sale....
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Rooster

I haven't cut a "green" spruce frame, but  I do like to use rough-sawn spruce as vertical barn/shed siding.  It is porous enough to take all kinds of stains, primers/paint.
I have found that using a pigmented oil-base stain as a primer, and then finish with acrylic latex paint is a good combination.  I usually have the stain color-matched to the color of the paint, so that if/ when the paint fails (peels, or gets scratched), there is the same color stain/ primer underneath.  Nothing worse than being sold white primer.....("This is our best line of primer!!") and then tell them that I want to cover it with one coat of "barn paint"... and then they come back with, "Well we can tint that for you?!"  What ever you do, don't let them!  You can't tint white primer to any resemblance to "Barn Red".   What you do end up with is a barn that looks like a Pink Valentine's Day card!!!  The primer can't dry fast enough to get the finish color on, before the neighbors and the neighbors' dog are walking by, looking at you with that "head cocked to the side" look of confusion.  (One of those "use what the customer already bought and paid for")

Note: Look for Sherwin Williams special match color "Roost Red"

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

stumpy

hey Craig, that's good to hear about the siding.  I saw alot of spruce and have sold quite a bit to a guy who uses it as siding on a pole barn.  Good to hear someone else likes it as well.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

SwampDonkey

The spruce twist everyone is talking about sounds like open grown limby stuff or tamarack. We built barns and sheds with it for years and never seen it twist apart yet.  ;D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

welcome Brendon, I also came across a load of spruce that I am cutting into 8x8 for a timberframe gazebo. the only thing I have found about the spruce is the checking, it seems to check more so than other wood. My cabin is also spruce logs and some of them have nice checks.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Lorax

Here is a picture of my cabin that I sided with spruce lap siding.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: brendonv on May 05, 2009, 06:30:22 PM
Tools, I need tools.  I'm thinking start with the minimum.  I do have a gas drill already.  Bits, chisels, planes, open to all suggestions on what to buy, and where to buy.

Noticed you had some for sale....

I suggest you look at the Tools for Timber framing list and see what you have already from your regular carpentry tools. Then create a timber framing tools list of wanted tools. Most likely we'll have those tools on hand for you to purchase.
If we don't then we can hopefully find them for you.

Some of the basic tools needed are the chisels, such as a 1 1/2" or 2" chisel. Then maybe a corner chisel and a slick. With these and a few other regular carpentry tools you'll have a good start on a basic set.

We have some nice hand planes, spoke shaves, draw knives and rabbet planes as well.

The list in the for sale section of this forum is accurate and up to date.
Shipping on all tools is extra.

Send me a private email via regular email system and I'll send you some more details about purchasing tools from us.

Jim Rogers

raycon

If you get over to the Haddam Killingworth area look up Pagoda Timber Frames.
The owner has a nicely built shop framed with Spruce.  Each bent has a different truss. Queen, King, Hammer etc
http://pagodatimberframes.com/Content/projects.htm

Buy some sharp tools from someone like Jim but also check out the the local  tractor swaps/weekend auctions great place to pick up chisels, hewing axes, adzes, boring machines, planes  & bits etc. Went to Zagray's this weekend came home with a few chisels, square, boring machine. Most expensive item was the square. $6.00. 

Lot of stuff..

frwinks

we just ordered some spruce (shown in blue) for our frame.  It's values are higher than white pine, which is always nice @ a better price than WP, which is even nicer ;D.  I was told to let it "relieve" itself before sawing it up, so we'll let the logs sit for a month or two

now that I saw Lorax's cabin (very nice btw ;)), I might get more of it for some live edge siding....

btw, Hi my name is Raff and I'm a TF addict 8)

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: raycon on May 06, 2009, 10:05:42 AM
Went to Zagray's this weekend came home with a few chisels, square, boring machine. Most expensive item was the square. $6.00. 

You got a boring machine for less than $6....?

Must have been in rough shape or they didn't know what they had.....

SwampDonkey

In my experience, some auctions will sell stuff no matter how low the price. I seen one guy sell off farm machinery and practically gave it away. One of them types that just wanted to get rid of it no matter the return.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

raycon

Yes. $6.00 for the boring machine.  Its in fair shape. One of the wood uprights has a crack in it. 

If I had more cash on hand I'd a bought the 300lb pressure blaster for $200 with hoses and nozzles. Or the fresh air pump. My wife bought a sailrite sewing machine so that blew my budget.
Lot of stuff..

beenthere

raycon
Is your wife in to making sails, or sewing canvas for other things?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

raycon

Canvas work and she's done a little bit of sail mending.  Most of the sail mending is done by hand on our stuff at least. 

Over the last 10 years I've dragged home a lot of old wooden boats (sail). She has used the blown out sails to make a variety of things. Awning, jackets, back pack modifications, bags, clothes (not from sails).

I paid for the sewing machine before I saw the pressure blaster last weekend. She promised to make a cover for my F350 bed if I bought the one at the tractor swap. The truck is a stake body dump and I've wanted a "custom" weather proof cover for it for about 180k miles now. Figured it was a win-win.  Picture a shallow arch, resting one the "planked" sidewalls  below the roof line that can hinge up pivoting near the cab.  I'm going to build a frame out of ash next few weeks and she'll use an old main sail to make a cover.  Little to much info?   I cover most of my stuff in salvaged canvas and/or salvaged bill board signs (polypropylene) under bow sheds I'm hoping we can sew up covers cleaning up there appearance. 

She has a hand me down industrial singer machine she uses now. Its good machine but does not have the "throat" the one we picked up Saturday has.
I sat on my camera and now the telescoping lens is malfunctioning. Amazing how much sawdust can get in side a camera. Bought a new used one on ebay $13.00 if it works I'll post some photos.

Lot of stuff..

beenthere

Thanks raycon.

Very interesting about the sewing of sail cloth. As well, the billboard materials. Must make for some real interesting 'covers' with the colors and lettering and all.  8)

Being able to sew canvas must open up a lot of opportunities.

(and sorry for messing up this "spruce" thread...promise no more, but sure hope we see some pics with the new camera  ;D)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!