iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky346xp worth fixing

Started by pitsaw, April 25, 2011, 07:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitsaw

My wife"s uncle gave me a 346xp said he thought it needed a piston but wasn't sure. an being a husky man I couldn't say no. I haven't had time to open it up yet just asking the pro's first.Is it worth puting a piston or piston/jug in?.and if i put a piston in her were would be the best place to get one? just thinking it would be nice to have a backup for my backup saw lol (like you can have to many) thanks in adv. Jason

cheyenne

In a word "yes" 8) I'd go through it top to bottom wait_smiley you won't find a better small saw  smiley_bouncing_pinky parts can be had from Baileys or on ebay  pc_smiley Have fun.........Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

John Mc

Is this the 50cc 346XP or the older 45cc model? (I believe the 50cc model has the gray/silver clutch cover). Both are very highly thought of saws, and worth a new piston/cylinder if that's what it takes to get them running

No, wait. I take it all back... They're pieces of junk. Not worth fixing. Just ship it to me, and I'll make sure it's disposed of properly...

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Keep in mind although perhaps a new cylinder piston might be best it might be nothing more than a set of piston rings .I tell you I've save a lot of saws  for just the price of the rings and an hour or two  labor  that are still operating fine today .It doesn't have to be pefect to perform well .

pitsaw

its a 45cc older one but looks like its never been used much. I pulled the muffler off piston/ring looks fine,drained fuel look's like straight gas no oil hmm. Her uncle has more money then sence so maybe its just a fuel problem?  dang thing has  good compression when pulling .don't have a any fuel at home its all over where I keep my mill so gonna try it in the mornin. what would you guys say is a  good bar/chain size to run on this saw? could I run a 24 with a full skip chain or would that be asking to much out of it? thanks jason

Ron Scott

A good saw. I'd keep it and get it running.
~Ron

05_sprcrw

Quote from: pitsaw on April 26, 2011, 07:00:13 PM
its a 45cc older one but looks like its never been used much. I pulled the muffler off piston/ring looks fine,drained fuel look's like straight gas no oil hmm. Her uncle has more money then sence so maybe its just a fuel problem?  dang thing has  good compression when pulling .don't have a any fuel at home its all over where I keep my mill so gonna try it in the mornin. what would you guys say is a  good bar/chain size to run on this saw? could I run a 24 with a full skip chain or would that be asking to much out of it? thanks jason

Would you be cutting hard woods or pine with it?  I think it will be asking a bit much for it, but if you are needing it just for a few cuts every now and then I think you could make it work for you.

JohnG28

I would not try a 24" bar on that saw.  Probably would be best with a 16" or 18" bar.  24" even with skip chain would be a lot for a 45cc saw, and I doubt it would oil well.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

SawTroll

Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!