iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 440B fair skidder price

Started by nhkierst, April 05, 2013, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhkierst

Hi everyone,
About a month ago I asked about a skidder I had inherited and everyone here was so helpful so thank you so much!  The overwhelming consensus was if I wasn't going to run it myself I should sell it so after doing some research I am back again to ask what a fair price would be. Here is the information about the skidder, as much as I could gather.
It is a mid-seventies (74, 75, 76) John Deere 440B.  After speaking with the last person to run the skidder for the business he informed me that the gearbox, drive-train, engine and hydraulics were all in good working order when it was parked.  He also mentioned the center pin and another pin (the names are escaping me right now) were good to go.  The only issue he said we should be concerned about was that it needed 4 new tires, they still hold air but they are in quite rough shape. 
I know how expensive tires are for a machine like this so given that I would like to sell it as-is do any of you have a suggestion for a fair price range?  We've already received some offers but I wanted to do some homework first.

Also I've done some research into prices they are going for online but it is such a varied range of condition and price it is difficult to get a good estimation. 

Thank you all again for your help!

MEloggah

JDeere

Not sure what state you are in as that could make some difference due to different markets. I would guess $10,000-$15,000. It is tough to say with out seeing it or having more detailed information. Your best bet is to research what they are going for in your area because that is exactly what a buyer will do. If you are in Maine or New Hampshire go unclehenrys.com, craigslist.org and see what you find. Also, try machinery trader and look it up by model number. Good Luck!
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

nhkierst

I am in Maine.  Thanks guys, will do some more research on it

MEloggah

just sold one in October. 2 brand new 16.9's all chained up 80% rings. this was a tight machine and I was cutting a load a day with it. it was not beat to hell and was woods ready and sold for 14k. new hoses, new blade rams, new 5/8 swedge, new oil cooler new seat. about as good a 440b as you would find here in maine/nh.

Kemper

nhkierst

Until the spring break up is over I won't be able to make it out to take any photos.  I found out today it was last used in January so it is still out on the woodlot.

thenorthman

paid 4500 for my 440a in November... sounds about the same condition, had a leaky fuel line, and some loose hydraulic hoses. Tires are in usable shape but come next winter I'm hoping to put some better meat on em.  Machine was sold new in 1971.

granted a 440b would be worth a little more, but skidders around here are a niche market,  there was a Franklin going for 8k a clark 666 for 6k, a second 440 for 5k all of em sold about the same time.  Missed a garrett for 2500... twas runner too.

but as has been said different areas have different markets,
well that didn't work

ClarkF66

Price on a mid 70's 440B would be $10000-$15000 here, too, so it must be the world-going rate for 440B's. Bald tires would put it towards the lower end. The JD 440 is such a small and versatile machine that there will always be a market for it. :)   

David-L

I owned a 440b for years and it was a great machine that got around the woodlot amazingly. Parts were pricey but still could be had. If the cradle and center pins are good and the steering pistons are not leaking and the hyd pump is good and the brakes work correct as well as the e-brake I think 10 to 12k is reasonable. Mine went for 12,500 and was wrapped up with single diamonds. Lets face it, its old and sometimes you hit a limit of what its worth no matter how much you put into it. As I recall the winch is pricey to buy disc's for and seals also, so if yours is working all the better. any Pic's. Good Luck.

David-l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

grassfed

It would be hard to get much more than 10K around here with bald tires and no chains. Tires are worth about 4K for good 80% plus and chains are worth about 2k for 4 wheels in the same 80%shape.
Mike

redprospector

I don't doubt that a 440b wouldn't bring more than 10 grand. But I would turn down a 10 grand offer for my little 440b real quick.
She's paid for & don't eat unless I fire her up, and then she's generally making me money. Nope, I think I'll keep her around a while longer.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

mad murdock

A good set of chains(4) would bring 1,500-3,000 by themselves, if the tires are done and no chains, I would say 5,000-7,500.  New rubber is going to cost 5 grande or more depending on how you can buy tires.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

celliott

Look around on Craigslist in the area, VT, NH, ME, MA for skidders. There are usually a couple 440's of various years posted, use that to compare and get a good price for your area.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

beenthere

One recently advertised (w/chains) for $12,500 (southern WI).
Claims been on a job site working, but lost some future jobs so is selling it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

snowstorm

Quote from: Corley5 on April 08, 2013, 05:22:48 PM
There are some 440s listed here  http://forestryequipmentsales.com/
i have looked at a couple machines that the owners were trying to sell on there own but also had them listed on there. one was 10k higher on there the other even more

mikeb1079

QuoteOne recently advertised (w/chains) for $12,500 (southern WI)

beenthere did you notice that the original posting he left off a zero?  i thought 1250 for a 440 would be a decent deal.   :D :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

clww

I did a quick look at the CL postings around my area (Charlottesville and Roanoke, VA) for skidders. Here's what I saw:

TJ 240E for $18,000
JD 440A for $11,000
JD 440 for $8,000
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!