iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customers

Started by Paul_H, September 14, 2002, 12:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

I probably shouldn't tell tales out of school,but most of you have probably had similar experiences.

A building contractor ordered some Red Cedar beams,posts&planks this week.He wanted a bunch of 6x12x 16's,  6x6s,and fifteen, 3x12 x12's.I picked out the logs,and we sawed up the 6x12s and 6x6s.no problem.

We cut 10 of the 3x12s,and it was looking like we would be finished and delivered by noon the next day.But we started to hit pocket rot in the logs.We couldn't make them 12 feet without defect.At 8' or 10' some shake or rotten knot would show up. I went to see the guy,and asked if they needed to be full 12's,or would he be cutting them in half,or thirds etc.

Yes,they needed to be full 12s,they were for a landing.

A day and a half,and a few logs later,(to produce the five remaining 3x12s)we finally had the full order delivered.When I got there,he said(sheepishly) "I ordered twice as many 3x12s as I needed,is that a problem?"
I said "how do you divide fifteen 12 footers in half?" ::)

Well,he said "most of them can be six feet,they're stair treads" :o  But what about the landing?. "Well I only need three for that."

He offered to pay for the extra himself,but I told him to use what he needs,without high grading them.I went by another jobsite,and have them sold.But I learned a lesson.

Clarify lengths.

I wasn't to harsh with him,because I have had my "moments" too :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DanG

DanG, Paul! What am I getting into, here.  That sounds like the telephone business. How many times have I jumped through my a$$ to get some service to somebody, just to find that they haven't even built their DanG building, yet! Am I jumping out of the DanG pan, into the DanG fire?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

L. Wakefield

Yes, it's too bad it just isn't pc to say to a customer, 'Are you SURE you know what you're talking about?'- or as the situations deteriorates further, 'Do you have a CLUE what you're talking about?'- but people would get all miffed and like that. I have a few good friends who are not afraid to ask me questions like that. After all, my other motto is 'If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous'.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

woodman

Look on the good side, at least you got paid for it.
Jim Cripanuk

Paul_H

DanG,
I think you will enjoy the people,but it sounds like your phone business already has that.This particular customer has sent others my way,so I don't mind too much.

find it more helpfull to talk to building contractors than local,small mills to find out what is in demand as far as product.The mills hold their cards pretty close to their chest :P

LW,
My mum was a nurse,and my youngest sister, Nancy still is.
It is a demanding job from what I'm told,and the patients don't hesitate to ask if you if you know what you're doing. :-/My hat's off to you and Nancy.

At least a log usually lays there quietly :D

FeltzE

I get the periodic customer who is refered from a previous costomer and the phone call goes like this.

Customer: "I'm calling to get a price on some lumber ... we are building a running shed for our horses... it's going to be about 16x25..."

Me:  "I'm sure I can help you out, do you have a materials list?"

pause...

Customer: "UMM No... it's going to be about , ... well three stalls , walled on three sides, tin roof, ...

Me:" Well are you going to build a single pitch roof? Looking at board and batton siding? What are you using for a foundation?"

Customer "My husband was planning to get the posts from you" cut short by me

Me:" I don't have treated lumber and definitely would recommend against the use of untreated... for  ground contact"

Customer: "So how much do you think that would be?"

Me" Well that depends, you really need to get your husband to develop a plan and list the lumber he needs for me so I can get you a quote"

Customer: We were planning on building it this weekend...

Me: Call me with a list and I'll see how soon I can have it done but DEFINITELY not THIS weekend!..."

Eric

DanG

Eric, you weren't in any real trouble, there. I can assure you that her husband had no plans for building a horse shed, that weekend. :D  She probably doesn't even have the horse yet.  If and when he buys her a horse and decides to build a shed, he'll come in with a mental list of what he thinks he needs. Just be sure to have a little extra on hand, for when he comes back for the rest of it. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

How about this situation. fellas.   I have customers that bring in a log truck load or two of logs and let them set here for 4 or 6 months and not return a call or tell you what they want cut from the logs in the first place. I told one a few days ago he has just 5 days the tell me what he wants or one of two things will happen; he removes them or they become mine.  I reck on I could also tell him that I will charge him for the space the logs have occupied for the last six months at two hundred a month. >:(
Frank Pender

Paul_H

Posession is 9/10s and all that sort of thing.Did the guy have anything to say,or did you get the blank look? :)

Frank_Pender

I wish I could catch  him Paul,  to put a blank look on his face. >:(
Frank Pender

Bibbyman

The outside of our loglot is ringed with logs from people who have not told me what they want out of them yet.  Sawing out a pole barn for one regular customer right now that is bringing in 20' logs.  He was worried he'd have enough.  I had to remind him he had a 20' oak log he'd brought me some 3 years ago - just in case he needed some long 2x6s some time.

I have another pile of logs that's been here over two years.  A bulldozer operator guy brought in a lowboy full of logs and needed a deck sawn.  I sawed the deck but had at least a 1000 bf of logs left over.  I asked him what he wanted to do with them.  I offered to take the logs in on trade for the sawing he had me do but he refused and paid me for the sawing. He said to just keep them for him, someday he may want to build a chicken house.

Sawed out a couple of hundred bf of oak fencing for a guy and called him.  He'd be there to get it next week.  Weeks past and couple more calls.  Told him it was going to ruin if it wasn't used or sticked soon.  He asked me to stick it for him as he was a truck driver and would be out of town for a couple of weeks.  Sticked it and it set for a month or two. Mailed him a bill,  didn't get a response.  Seen him some six months later and he be down next week to get it.  This went on for about two years with me having to move it or do something with it every month or so.  Finally,  I pulled it off the sticks and sold the best of it and put the rest on the slab pile.  With what I was able to sell,  I about recovered my sawing fee.  
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sawyerkirk

I have 2 really good customer stories.
1. Fella dropped off right at 2000bf of very nice walnut butt logs. (while I was gone) he marked 1" on them and left. No number, name or anything. He called about a month later and asked my wife if I had them sawed yet?  She said no, and asked for his name and # but he said he'd stop by sometime. Work was slow, so I sawed, stickered and set the stacks in the barn. That was 3 years ago. I sold the whole load a couple months back, and bought me some new tools!!
2. Man calls (talks to my wife again)Friday night say he has some nice walnut logs he'd like sawn. Needs directions from the interstate. Said he be here about noon. He calls about 11:00 Saturday says he may be a little late he's still 3 hours away. He finally got here, with my newest record holder for the ugliest logs ever sawn here.  I know I'm a good sawyer but not a 4 hours drive worth. By the way anyone near Cincinatti OH in case he calls again?

Thank You Sponsors!