iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

10 degree vs. 7 degree blade VS. 4 DEGREE BLADES.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 09, 2013, 03:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

In another thread I showed pics of a dried White Oak job that came into the mill. The thread turned to blade angle and the best blade to use.  So I'm starting a new thread on blades.
I ordered a box of 4° blades but have not had a chance to use them on the dried Oak logs.

Woodmizer sent me 1  7° blade to try out.
Some other members said I would love the 7°blade if I used it to saw Pine, which is 95% of what I saw.

I opened the box with the 7° blade and I could not tell the difference.
Ahhh....but there is if you look close.

Here's the 7° is on the right. You can see it stands up more.

Well it was time to try it in Pine.
I picked the BIGGEST, KNOTTIEST Pine I had on the lot.

To my amazement, the speed I could travel through this log was almost double the speed I went with a 10° blade. What was really amazing was sawing 19" wide slabs off this log and the 7° cut it like hot butter.

But I have to be honest, I pushed the head as fast as I could saw with my 29HP''s tongue hanging out and I did get a little wave on a few knots. I mean.....I just had to find out.  ;D So I then slowed down a little and got nice boards.....but was still going faster than using the 10°.
All and all the 7° did a way better job sawing this knotty Pine and saved time vs. the 10 ° blade.
I recommend the 7° if you saw logs like this.

I will take pics and let ya know what I find out about the 4° when I saw the White Oak again.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SAWMILL BUDDY

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SAWMILL BUDDY on January 09, 2013, 04:31:08 PM
See. I told ya so.  :D. Nice job
I thought about you the whole time I was sawing this log.  :)
They'll be a little something in the mail for you.  :D :D :D

woodNthings

Ok I'm sold! Will be ordering them directly. Down this way I saw a good bit of longleaf and slash pine.
'10 WM LT33 Hyd.
'80s Case rough terrain forklift
'54 Farmall Super A
'01 Duramax

Dodgy Loner

Very nice, David. That's some ugly, pretty lumber. Not to be confused with pretty ugly lumber ;D

I think Red Clay Hound just ordered some 7° blades to give them a whirl.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Kingcha

Thank you, thank you.  I guess I now know what blade to use for my pines.    Is that Red Pine?  It looks like what I have and mine are red pine.   

I love the that lumber.  I am planning on using my pine for my flooring in my next house.

matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: Kingcha on January 09, 2013, 05:52:29 PM
Thank you, thank you.  I guess I now know what blade to use for my pines.    Is that Red Pine?  It looks like what I have and mine are red pine.   

I love the that lumber.  I am planning on using my pine for my flooring in my next house.

matt
I doubt that's red pine unless Poston has made a road trip up north! :D  Don't think you'll find any red pine in SC.  My guess is loblolly.

I haven't ordered my 7 degree blades yet but will soon.  I've got a guy who wants me to saw some wide knotty pine boards to make rustic farmhouse table-tops.  Sounds like these blades might do the trick!

On another topic, I just got my Accuset 2 delivered today - plan to install this Saturday.  I'll have a short learning curve since I have a 4000bf job to saw next week! :o
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Peter Drouin

for me the 7s are the best, I use them on hard and soft wood, even frozen wood.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You're right Red Clay...Loblolly.

You absolutely will not catch me going North in January.  :)

MartyParsons

Hello,
The smaller Hp mills may have issues running this blade. It likes to be feed fast, this may be trouble in low hp mills. The 24 hp Onan works but the 25 hp Kohler has not quite enough power. The Kohler Fuel Injection engines with 28 or the 29 hp really work well and anything larger is fine. If you have a lower hp mill and it works let me know. WM does make this in a .042 and I have run this on the LT 15 with good results.
There is a new blade coming out soon called the Turbo. More info to come. I ran it at the Baltimore show last week and this week in York PA. I will be using it at the Virginia Farm Show next week in Fishersvile , VA

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

John C.

hi tried 7s on some half frozen red oak (14"-20" dia.) noticed alot of sawdust on cants and lumber.also some wavy cuts.any thoughts?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good info Marty. My 29 HP G did not bog down at all. The 7° seems to fit my HP very well.

But when I put the 29hp on last month, you told me I would get good results......and I have. Thanks.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: John C. on January 09, 2013, 07:45:35 PM
hi tried 7s on some half frozen red oak (14"-20" dia.) noticed alot of sawdust on cants and lumber.also some wavy cuts.any thoughts?

What mill are you running John? I had a lot of sawdust on my cants too but no more sawdust than I have with a 10°.
Most of my sawdust on my lumber and cants was my fault....I wanted to push this blade. This was a GREEN, SAPPY, KNOTTY LOG. I poured the lube to it to keep the blade clean. Therefore getting WET sawdust and it not being able to be thrown out the Shute.

drobertson

Paul Harvey, and this is the rest of the story!  every thing changes, but what works, works, there is a place and time for everything.  Glad all is well for you David,,,,,,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

John C.

postonlt40hd,i have wm lt 40 with 33hp kubota.i will try less lube. i saw alot of green ewp and got used to alot of lube(cascade and water).wm told me to go fast with the 7s so i will try different speeds.
thanks john

levans

POSTONLT40HD,
How did you go about getting a blade from woodmizer to try out, I have some free blades coming from another company and would like to try them against a woodmizer 7 degree blade. 
Thanks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: levans on January 09, 2013, 08:10:08 PM
POSTONLT40HD,
How did you go about getting a blade from woodmizer to try out?

I ordered a box of 4° blades and just out of the blue, the guy told me he wanted to send me a 7° to try free of charge.
I would suggest to give them a call and tell them what you are planning to saw. They may send you a demo.
Someone else may know the answer for sure.....but I would call.  :)

mmartone

I'm glad you tried and made some discoveries! I have been wondering which blades to order for all this pine I have in my pile. Guess I'll get a box of 7 degree razor tip blades from WM. Thanks alot
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Magicman

Razor Tip or Double Hard?   There is a difference.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 09, 2013, 08:43:26 PM
Razor Tip or Double Hard?   There is a difference.

And this is why I always tell Wood-Mizer what I am sawing. They know what I need better than I do. :)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

I run Double Hard, but 10° blades which is what WM recommends for Pine which is the majority of what I saw.  I could easily get 7° blades by telling WM ReSharp to replace my rejects with 7° instead of 10°.  I have just never seen the need.

I do have three 7° blades that I reserve for White Oak, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

I was not sure MM ,Im glad  the 10s work for you. we all need to find what works for what your cutting. I don;t know how many kinds of trees we have in the US, I think I have 7 just on my land :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

mmartone

I went through the WM buy blades online deal and thats one of about 5 it suggested.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Magicman

Mississippi list 35 different Oaks, and I probably have 5-6 of them.  Of course what I saw is customer's logs.  I do not market lumber.

10° was the top listing for my usage.  Then 9°, 7°, & 4° are listed.  Actually 9° was listed top for knotty Pine.

Thank You Sponsors!