iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To cut or not to cut,

Started by TexasTimbers, April 01, 2005, 09:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I searched through my TFing boks for this answer and can't find it.
Soon my soil will be dry enough, long enough, to do my flat work. Slab for the shop, pier and beams for the TF house.
From what I've read it's time, nearly past time to cut my trees for beams. Loblolly if it makes a difference in the answer. Thing is, I can't mill the trees for another 2-3 weeks. Then, it will be another 8-12 weeks before I can start whittling out the joints in the shop. Here's my 3 options as I see them:
1) Cut now and let the logs lay until I can mill.
2) Let them stand and cut them only when I can mill
3) Wait to cut and mill them until just before I'm ready to dress them into beams and install them?
If there's a fourth option I'm open to that also. I know there must be only one "best approach" to this but I don't know what it is.
Input greatly appreciated. KJ
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Jim_Rogers

Answer to 1: How long can they lay there before the bugs get to them?
Answer to 2: Could work, but then you've got to store them properly so they don't "take off" on you.
Answer to 3: Seems like you're trying to do all at once, may work, may not.
Overall answers: Depends on number of timbers, size of frame, amount of storage area available, amount of time available, handling equipment (fork trucks and such). It might seem like a simple question but there are lots of variables to consider.

Hope this helps.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!