iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill mods

Started by doug olsen, March 31, 2016, 05:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug olsen

Being quite new to this forum and still finding my way around, I stumbled on the "useful sawmill mods" section.

As interesting and informative as it is, I have to ask....how much would be involved in having the posts displayed as per model of mill.  Eg., one section pertaining to the LT10, the next section for the LT 15 and so forth and then maybe one for general mods to do with those affecting most sizes.. I realize there are many makers of mills but they have many things in common based on engine HP, capacities, whathaveyou, if you know what I mean..

I have the LT15 and this is what I am most interested in making mods to but have browse thru years of mods to find anything relevant. I like to compare what I have to the Norwood and other mills and pick their good features to try to incorporate with what I have. This is where I'm coming from.

Believe me, I'm not complaining but for the time being most of these other mods are over my head. Hopefully, down the road, I will understand more of what is being discussed.  Just food for thought.. ??? ???
LT 15/portable trlr., 580 Case hoe/thumb, JD 570 Skidsteer (bkn.) 500 Rubicon quad

Dave Shepard

You may be able to do a search for lt15 in the useful mods thread. Haven't tried anything like that yet, but that would give you any posts related to that model mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

I just tried it. Open the mods thread, and next to the search window it should say "this topic". I put in lt15, and it brought up just lt15 posts.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

doug olsen

Thank you Dave
I did as you suggested and it opened many sites for me . As you can tell, it's not only mills that are "new" to me..
LT 15/portable trlr., 580 Case hoe/thumb, JD 570 Skidsteer (bkn.) 500 Rubicon quad

kelLOGg

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 31, 2016, 06:29:41 PM
I just tried it. Open the mods thread, and next to the search window it should say "this topic". I put in lt15, and it brought up just lt15 posts.

I tried it but next to the search window it said 'help' and 'profile'. What have I missed? :P
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ga Mtn Man

kelLOGg, you should see a search form under the giant "Forum" at the very top of the page.  If you don't see it then click the tiny arrow at the very upper left of the page(above and to the left of the pine tree logo) to expand the header.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WV Sawmiller

Doug,

Sorry, we did not submit the info that way. While the submitter may mention his mill model and make that does not mean his mod would not have the general application you mention. I think you would have to read them all and determine if you could make the same or similar mod to your mill. The actual mod might be totally different but the idea identical to one you saw on the post. Also you may just use the idea and do the same thing with a totally different application.

One of the best features I find about this site is that it provokes thought and triggers idea. Good luck.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Does the search engine search people's signature lines too?  If so, if everyone keeps their equipment info in their sig line, then we may be in biz
Boy, back in my day..

doug olsen

Hello 4X
This forum sure keeps me humble. I think I just might have to plead one of your amendments (is it the 7th.??.haha).
Anyway,you make mention of this sig. line....sorry but how do you enter this info..

Chuck White

Unfortunately, lots of members don't list anything in their signature line!

When making or responding to a post many members make the suggestion that their equipment and location be added to their profile.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: doug olsen on April 01, 2016, 04:59:56 PM
Hello 4X
This forum sure keeps me humble. I think I just might have to plead one of your amendments (is it the 7th.??.haha).
Anyway,you make mention of this sig. line....sorry but how do you enter this info..
Doug,

Log into the forum, click on the profiles option that shows up and select personal profile the click modify profile and edit your signature line to include equipment info.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doug olsen

And a big  THANK YOU  Yellowhammer for posting the link about the mods you had done to your LT 15. This was the kind of info I was looking for ---all in one place.. kinda thing.
I guess in time, I will be able to get thru all the "useful mods" and then be moreless up to speed on the mods relevant to my mill in that section.. Thanks again to YH and lets see more of the mods that you guys have done to your units..big or small

Ga Mtn Man

Yellowhammer, you forgot to add the mod where the LT-15 was magically converted to an LT-40. :laugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

"Were it worth the trouble?"

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on April 04, 2016, 08:04:55 AMYou have come a long way, Pilgrim".
So says another LT15 to LT40 convert.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

Doug, Another LT15 owner whose gallery is worth a visit is Elk42.We all had to start somewhere when it comes to making mods,start with what you feel comfortable with and just go from there.As your experience and confidence grow you will be doing things you never thought possible.Curiosity and the ability to read and look at pictures opens many a door.There is a lot of talent here,use it,I have and am very grateful.I think my biggest achievement so far was figuring out how to post pictures. ;D :P :P :P
It wasn't that hard just had to pay attention to the instructions.

Welcome and have at it.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

WDH

"Trouble?  What trouble?"
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!