iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New build width and band length for maximum diameter. Newbie to forum.

Started by willowbender, February 11, 2019, 09:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willowbender

Hello out there  fellow Sawyers.

The heading says it all.
Done a LOT of reading measuring other mills etc.
Question is if I build a mill that uses a 158" to 168" band running on 18.75"
Surplus center Pulleys what can I expect the maximum log diameter and cant size.

To me it looks like my main limitation is the carriage width and the saw guides.
Not that Im a math guru but on paper it looks as though the carriage will be around 46 " wide.
also if i build it to remove the retractable saw guide my only other limit is the band wheel.

Im not exactly a virgin to a sawmill recently had the opportunity to run and 100+ year old circular mill that a good old 83 year old sawyer taught me how to operate and be safe if there is such a thing.
Got good enough to push his mill further than he thought could be done.
He and another good friend helped and we cut up a whole house for my wife and I which is wonderful we are presently living hippy style in an old school bus.
Have also had the opportunity to run a timberking fully hydraulic.
Now that the sawdust is in my blood I want to build my own mill and be able to do the interior of my home with planed pine.

Have collected all the scrap, donor motor, etc for a build and should cost  around $300 for the new parts i need.

Thanks for any info your willing to share the main reason for the width is I want to be able to cut around a 25" cant so that i can produce my counter tops.
Thanks

P.S. I will be taking pics and posting them as We build our mill and share our experience as we go.

JRWoodchuck

158" bands on 18.75" wheels will be able to cut 31.5" if you build real tight. I built mine with those wheels and those bands and I have 30" between my guides. There is a little room for widening it out. so 168" bands should give you about 5" more. Don't skimp on your blade guides. Cooks make nice ones. Woodmizer and Kasco make the good blades in my opinion. I have been running 045 1 1/2 turbo 7's from woodmizer and like them. My mill is 48" outside rail to outside rail. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Crusarius

I agree with jrwoodchuck. I used 158 blade with the 19" pulleys you describe. I have 31" between the guides. My next thought is a dual width setup with a 158 and 176 blade capability. 

The 176 blades are a good deal more money so the 158 would be my primary. With the designs I have been working on a 176 blade will give me roughly 41" between the guides.

If you want to be able to do 24" tops then a 158 blade will be fine. The harder part to that is finding logs big enough.

willowbender

Thanks for the info.
That was what I was assuming that it would be about 48 to 50 inches center to center on the wheels.

We have a lot of trees that size and some friends that are tree trimmers and removers here in south Arkansas and some are even larger than that. We have used chainsaws to split and quarter some of the logs we have cut.
Will not be cutting many logs that size just want it to be that wide just in case.

Started the frame for a trailer today there overkill but better to be over than under. Will be posting some pics soon so Yall can laugh at me just like the 83 year old sawyer did. He said what you going to pull that with LOL. I told him I dont gripe at free steel.

Thanks again for confirmation.

God Bless

Ljohnsaw

The total width to cut will only come into play when you are cutting full-width slabs.  If you are primarily cutting "lumber", you will be whittling down the log from the outside to reveal the large beam or post in the middle.  You will likely not need a huge capacity for that.  What you will need it the ability to raise the head high for those big logs and to be able to straddle it with your saw head (support posts being far enough apart).

That being said, I built my saw based on 21" doughnut spare tires and 158" band.  I can cut over 30" but that is a challenge for my 18hp engine.  I have the ability to get over a 40" log but I do slab a bit heavy on the first cut.  Wish I made it just a tad taller.  I also built it to cut about 20" thick thinking that was the way to make a beam.  I've only ever cut from the outside in from all 4 sides.  I never have cut down more than about 6 or 8".  I've since revised it to strengthen it and my max thickness is now about 10".
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!