iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Giant Puffballs

Started by Jeff, July 30, 2007, 11:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We went for a short ride this past week while up north to see how the hay was coming around the area. Lots of round bales but not as many as usual.

When we were almost back to the corner of Caribou I hollered to my brother in law "STOP! FOOD!" ;D

I was pretty sure of what I was seeing, but needed to go and make sure.

YUP! Thats what they were, a field full of Giant Puffball mushrooms. They had not been there only two days earlier. The little rain we had those two days must have set conditions just right for them to take off.

My great nephew Aaron (my sister's grandson) and I went out and picked 3 of the big shrooms. One would have been plenty. THis one here we are slicing up fed 4 of us twice.

This was the largest that we picked, however there were some mush bigger way out in the back of the field. We decided to call our friends Peggy and Lyle to see if they would like one. 
YES!!! Says Peggy, I'll be right over!!

Peggy was pretty pleased with her mushroom especially in her condition.

Her condition is that she is a yooper and they will eat anything. Even grits. :D

Here is a video clip of Peggy acting up with her "shroom" We were sitting out on the future screen porch that pete and I have under construction at the cabin.  I sorta screwed up the video. I had the camera turned sideways. My video software option to turn the video is less then to be desired. It leaves the picture distorted in width. Wider then it should be. But you get the idea we were having a good time.
http://www.youtube.com/v/y8UlBKDlkV0

Pete and Aaron Flouring and seasoning some puffball slices.

MMMMMM! First night we just ate shrooms.

The next morning we had shrooms with breakfast. I am happy to report that we all survived.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I missed this one in the first batch of photos. Here is a picture of Aaron with the puffball he picked. Aaron is 11 years old.  He was quite a helper for me this past week.  :)

Paschale

Sure looks tasty!   8)

I didn't know you could eat those things...do they taste like a regular shroom?
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Jeff

Not really.  Its hard to describe the taste, but I liken it to Tom's fried grits but the texture is way off from that. Its really quite different then anything I know.  Maybe fried eggplant might be close as anything. I guess adjectives that might describe it would be rich and earthy, but with the texture of a marshmallow.  :D  They are quite goo though. :)

Paschale

Do you know if there are bad puffballs?  If you see a puffball in Michigan, is it fairly likely to be safe, or is there a way to know for sure?

I hear that in Mexico, the fungus that grows on corn, and looks incredibly nasty, is a delicacy, speaking of fungus you can find in Michigan.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Jeff

My understanding is that if you cut them open and they have "gills"  run.  The giant puffball that we found is pretty easily identifiable not only by appearance but by a couple other clues. 1, its is a pasture, field or meadow or on the edge of one. 2, timing, late july, early august.

Texas Ranger

Giant puffballs are associated with pastures, and manure.  Sooooooo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

The corn fungus food is called:

Huitlacoche (or Cuitlacoche)

From the description I read, the texture has some interesting and disgusting descriptions, so I think I'd pass it by (unless it is served as an hor'doeuvres  ;D ;D )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

Around here, puffballs are the little ones that you step on and they send out a brown cloud of spores. Do the giant ones do this at some point in there life cycle?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Reddog

Yes, They will put out a good cloud with the brush hog.

Dave Shepard

That sounds like fun. smiley_devilish

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!