iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New here looking for advice

Started by amgont75, August 20, 2013, 04:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amgont75

Hi all,

My name is Andrew and I am like most people on here looking for advice in how to start up in this industry.  I live in Arizona and am looking for get a portable mill and kiln.  I know most of  you are thinking....aren't there only palm trees and sand in Arizona?  well to be honest yes in my area there is.  But n the north and south of Arizona there is Pine and Ironwood. 

I would just like to hear thoughts from you guys about what you think about trying this around Phoenix.  There are a few larger mills that specialize in Pine here.  If you live in the area even better since you would know the market.  I am mostly looking to saw, dry, and maybe mold or finish it for the furniture quality lumber.

Sorry for a short and choppy start to this.  I am sure you will have questions to ask and I will be happy to answer all I know.

Thanks,

Andrew
Andrew From Arizona

drobertson

Howdy, and I hope you find some good info Andrew, if there is pine the mills will come,  some good info is surely soon to come,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
A good place to hang out and for us to hear about your venture into milling. The ponderosa pine to the north should make great sawing, if you can get some logs down to your area. Others will chime in and know the availability of logs on the market.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Deese

Hey Andrew,
Welcome to the forum. I am new to the forum as well. The folks on here are extremely nice and eager to help.
I am new to the world of sawmilling, otherwise I would be glad to help!
Good luck!
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

samandothers

Welcome to the forum.  I look forward to some of the responses here.

amgont75

Thanks guy already reading old posts and learning a lot.  Hope to find people with knowledge of the Arizona market.
Andrew From Arizona

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Andrew!

Lots of good info in all that reading!  :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum.  With the low humidity in the South West, I wonder if you could get by with air drying your lumber.   Looking forward to your posts.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Migal

Welcome to the FF  8) Im sure mesquite buckeye  might have some advice on Arizona Lumber JMO enjoy your endeavor  :)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

thecfarm

amgont75,welcome to the forum.AZ? Any wood workers around Phoenix? Might be able to sell them wood for projects?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

amgont75

There are many woodworkers around in the area.  I would have to get set up and have the wood ready to sell which wouldn't be too hard.  A lot of cabinet makers, home builders, furniture makers, even hobbyists.  I just have to get my name out there and my services.  Also need to know what wood they use and see if I can get the logs at a competitive rate to have a chance with the supply houses.  Nice thing is a few of the supply houses list their prices that I can see. So I know roughly what the going rate is at retail end.  But I am so green in this field and want to learn.  I also want this to be a full time business and not a hobby.  So any feedback would be great.

Thanks again all,

Andrew
Andrew From Arizona

thecfarm

WDH is the man when it come to selling to wood workers. He will be along sometime.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, amgont75.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mesquite buckeye

Oh, there you are. ;D

Welcome to the forum. I mostly mill mesquite in AZ. If you live in Phoenix, you should get in contact with the tree service guys. They are always removing trees and have to pay to dump them. Instant logs for free. You might have to convince them not to cut them all up into 2 ft lengths. You should be able to get aleppo pines, eucalyptus, mesquite, acacia, african sumac, sycamore and who know what else in your area if you are willing to be brave. Be aware that it may be easier to produce lumber than to sell it. Just sayin'. I cut up some red gum eucalyptus about 20 years ago thinking I would get rich on it. The stuff is absolutely gorgeous, extremely challenging to dry, and twists, curls and collapses when drying. Good luck getting woodworkers to try it. Once they do, though, they will be back. I am building the floor in my house with it, since I have sold maybe 1% of what I made. I think I will be using it all up myself. Too bad for those other guys.

Outside of urban wood, getting access to stands of timber worth cutting except on private land has a high PITA factor. I hope this is of some help.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

And if you are just a little patient, you don't need a kiln in AZ. The wood will dry to 5-7% with just air.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

amgont75

Is that using no kiln at all or a solar kiln?  I would love to hair dry lumber to save on money but during the summer wouldn't the lumber dry too fast for the wood?
Andrew From Arizona

mesquite buckeye

You can control drying rates with tarps, cloth, whatever. You can even wet the pile if it really starts to get away from you. It is only a problem in the hottest, driest months of the year and with certain, collapse and check prone species.

Migal

Quote from: amgont75 on August 21, 2013, 12:03:03 AM
Is that using no kiln at all or a solar kiln?  I would love to hair dry lumber to save on money but during the summer wouldn't the lumber dry too fast for the wood?

Im not in AZ but do know wood is going to equilibrium with its surroundings but the wood mb suggested is very dry even when alive so different sparks for different fart's err different area's requirements for different types of wood due to the area it is in I see this all the time on this forum and very seldom chime in due to the fact that This is a great place but also take's a bit of common sense too! That being said not a lot of difference between Spalted and Rot to me but don't reckon there is much spalting occurring in AZ LOL but it is beautiful to see what nature has left for us to display with pride!
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

mesquite buckeye

We get spalted mesquite logs, but nobody wants to pay for them. :(

Migal

amgont75

This is great guys.  I have not been on a forum this active for a long time.  Keep up with the advice every little bit helps.
Andrew From Arizona

dboyt

I'm an advocate of the solar kiln route.  It gives you more control over the drying process and is more consistent, without wondering whether to put a tarp over the wood.  It will  cut down the drying time, cause minimal defect, and the procedures are well documented.  You've basically got three factors: temperature, humidity, and air flow to control.  If your wood will be used locally, you'll want to go a little drier than most kiln dry wood-- 5% to 6%.  Any thoughts on the sawmill features you'll be looking for?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

amgont75

Hello dboyt.  Thanks for the great info.  I was thinking about a solar kiln they look fun to build and easier on the pocket book. 

The features I want on a mill....as most people want I want everything as cheap as possible.  Having said that I would like it to be efficient, able to cut enough BF to make this a full time business.  Hydraulic loader since most of the time I will be doing this alone.  I was looking at the TimberKing or the Wood-Mizer lines.  Portable would be great for the service of going to the customer.

I hope this helps you if you have more questions for me please ask.

Thanks,

Andrew
Andrew From Arizona

MAI

Welcome to the FF Amgont75.  As you can see the info and feedback keeps coming.  The members are great and are always willing to share their experiences.

Thank You Sponsors!