iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burning sawdust and wood shavings?

Started by Qweaver, November 19, 2006, 10:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I'm sure that this has been discussed here before but I'm wondering about a practical way to burn sawdust and the shavings that come from my planner and jointer in my wood stove.  I use a little used oil stirred around in my shavings to get my fire started in the morning, so how about making a compactor for my log splitter to make my own "firelogs".
Maybe not worth the effort?  Has anyone tried it?
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

jph

I don't burn sawdust but  shavings and floor sweepings all go in my stove. They burn well, don't last long but at least it gets rid of them. I used to burn my offcuts of mdf on the stove  but the smell / fumes were too strong so they go down to the bonfire.

Raphael

There's a company producing wood bricks from sawdust in Berlin CT.
  They use heat (180°f IIRC) to melt the lignan and get the fibers to fuse into a solid mass, the pressure their machine produces is about 10 times that of a typical wood splitter but their product is a lot harder than what you'ld need, the machine was originally designed to press waste coal into usable sizes.

mike_van posted a link to the story last week.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

jpgreen

When I was over in Cambodia, a guy had a ceramic stove and he would pack it with sawdust around a 2" pipe going up the chiminey, and an other pipe for a lower entance.  He packed it hard with sawdust, pulled the pipe out and lit it from he bottom entrance.  It smoldered and heated the ceramic clay and really radiated some decent heat.  Burned a long time also.

I've been wanting to make one of those...  :P
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

breederman

years ago I had a customer that had a sawdust burner in his house .
all I remember about it was that it had a auger type stoker and worked best if the sawdust was wet.
Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!