iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Off-Beared for a different color

Started by Chuck White, August 23, 2014, 09:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

A few days ago I went with my brother to get a new water pump for his boat motor and on the way I spotted what I thought was a Lucas mill along the highway.  There was an older gent sawing as we went by.  I told my brother that we WILL stop there on the way home, and we did.

He had a healthy sized cant there that he had been sawing, his end product was to be a 4 inch slab, bar top.

He had shut down after we went by and I asked if I could see it cut, he said "if you don't mind tailing it", so he started cutting again and I tailed the 1x8's as they came off.

Charlie coming down through for the undercut.

Another undercut.

Charlie starting the cutoff

Me taking off a 1x8

I really thought that was a pretty slick sawmill, very interesting!

Charlie said he has had the mill for around 25 years.

All the scales and settings on it are metric!

Thanks Charlie!  ;) 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Delawhere Jack

Where are the hydraulics?  :D

Pretty cool. I'd love to have one with a chainsaw slabber.

Chuck White

This guy had a 10inch circle blade to go along with the 8 that he used most of the time and he said he had a slabber, I think he said 56-inch!

All-in-all, it's quite a mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Is that the fellow on RTE 3??
I spoke with him earlier this year
Did he tell you he recently had knee surgery, I think he had at least one replaced.

Gives me a good felling about my Lucas knowing how old his machine is
DGDrls

Magicman

I would have loved to have been there too.  I watched Meadows Miller (Chris) saw a log at a Chickin Crispin a couple of years ago.  Very interesting.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Where is that "whirlwind" Meadows Miller? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Quote from: dgdrls on August 23, 2014, 10:02:49 PM
Is that the fellow on RTE 3?
I spoke with him earlier this year
Did he tell you he recently had knee surgery, I think he had at least one replaced.

Gives me a good felling about my Lucas knowing how old his machine is
DGDrls

Yup, he's on the North side of State Rt 3.

Forgot, he also told me that he just installed his 2nd engine about 2-3 weeks ago.

Magicman

Quote from: beenthere on August 23, 2014, 10:45:27 PMWhere is that "whirlwind" Meadows Miller?
smiley_headscratch  Maybe he used up all of Jeff's "Smiley Fluid".   :D   oz_smiley smiley_roller   smiley_hourglass
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

He had the Lucas in the truck when he stayd here with Deb and I for a few days.  We were going to get it out, but then my mom took ill, and we never got around to it.  He did get to run the Cooks and cut his first us tree while he was here.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!