iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

026 Problems

Started by AdkStihl, October 21, 2011, 10:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdkStihl

A buddy of mine brought me his 026 to work today to take a look at.
Tells me it runs O.K. cold, but once its hot it dogs out and dies.
He tells me he put a new plug & diaphragm kit in a few weeks ago.
I'm still at my desk and havent even looked at the saw yet.
Any ideas?

Few things come to mind..
1) Cylinder pulling air from somewhere it shouldnt be and leaning out.
2) Clogged muffler screen
3) Poor carb adjustments

PS....The saw has had a fresh top end not too long ago

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
J.Miller Photography

iffy

I had the same symptoms with my 056, but it is a known issue with them. When the coil got hot the spark would be so weak it wouldn't ignite the fuel. You might want to see how far the spark jumps when it is hot as compared to when it is cold.

Coon

Check the venting for the fuel tank.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

AdkStihl

Thanks for the speedy replies.
I will start there I guess!!
Is the tank vent a common issue ?
J.Miller Photography

T Welsh

Everything everbody else just mentioned. after its hot and starts running doggy,check spark and verify that its strong. then its a fuel problem or vent issue. Tim

island boy

Similar problem with an 025. Any more details on the vent issue>

joe_indi

Check the strainer on the pump side of the carb.
A partially blocked pickup body might also cause similar symptoms.

Joe

AdkStihl

Well......I pulled the exhaust and found they had it already completely gutted and the exhaust side of the piston to be scored pretty bad. Think it may have had a bad crank seal and still does. Thats how I believe they cooked it the first time? I dont have a compression tester, but it surely doesnt have enough IMO.
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Lean burn,typical .New seals aftermarket P  and C cut wood .

T Welsh

Dont feel bad, just did the same thing to an 064. about $450 in parts and a long weekend fixed it :D,Nothing lasts forever. and yes change both seals and comp. test afterwards to verify you got it right. and while you have it down pull every thing else apart and clean it and anything that doesnt fall with in spec. replace. clean the carb and when your done its a new rebuilt saw 8) Tim

Cut4fun

Check you crank bearings before you slap new seals in it.  Make sure no up down slop.  I got one right now needing crank bearings before I do seals.

Al_Smith

Yeah  now don't get to hastey with this thing .Obviously the thing would run ,partly cooked piston or no . If it isn't totally trashed which it must be not be then more times than not a little clean up of the cylinder and new rings will add years of life to that thing for little expense .

Now of course you have to find the source of the obvious air leak before it dies all together  and never putts again .

That piston doesn't have to be perfect to run good .Many may argue it does but I am living proof it does not considering the amount of saws I've brought back from the grave that are still cutting wood .

Besides generally speaking an 026 is a firewood saw not a high speed feller someone makes a living with .If the thing makes it though a season or two of cutting the winters firewood for little expense it's more than paid for the effort expended .

AdkStihl

Spoke with the owner of the saw this afternoon and he doesnt want to spend the $ to fix it. I guess he has plenty other saws to use. Told him to make it go till she blows and then he'll have a parts saw.........oh well. Glad I didnt spend alot time on it.
Thanks for all your input guys. I really do appreciate it.
J.Miller Photography

Thank You Sponsors!